Sign in to follow this  
Guest glide

744 flightdeck lighting

Guest glide

Can any real 744 pilot or engineer tell me where the light switches are for the main lights that illuminate the whole cockpit particulaly the rear? I noticed when in the real aircraft on stand the other day that there is main lighting which is not controlled by the lights section on the overhead panel and dome light toggle etc? Having a quick scout around i was not able to find any other controlls around the flight deck. Switching off the dome light did not extunguish this lighting, so i assumed that there were either other switches else where or the illumination was function of aircrafts situation with ground power on and systems and engines off? thanksFynn

"Switching off the dome light did not extunguish this lighting, so i assumed that there were either other switches else where or the illumination was function of aircrafts situation with ground power on and systems and engines off?"The STORM LIGHT was probably switched on. This overrides certain light switches. ;)Cheers.Q>

Guest glide

I see thanks, just out of interest what exactly is the purpose of the storm light and where is it (the light not the switch)thanksFynn

ahh... no... slight misunderstanding... There is a STORM LIGHT switch which turns on a lot of the lights at once (and to full brightness) to make the cockpit bright. When there are thunderstorms in the area, you don't want to be blinded by flashes of lightning, so you reduce your eyes' sensitivity to light by making the cockpit brighter.When I go into a dark cockpit, I don't want to fumble around with brightness controls... I just flick the STORM Light switch on the bottom left hand corner of the overhead panel.If you want more subtle lighting (with selective area control), you have to switch the Storm Light off.Hope this makes sense.Cheers.Q>

>Does the Storm light work in the PMDG 744?No.Hope it helps,

will FSX allow more detailed lighting like the storm light?