Sign in to follow this  
Marc_H

744 approaching Kai Tak

Hi,a screenie from my flight today (EDDF-VHH; LH738):ajly43xptrqvefwgp.jpgThe weather conditions are quite bad, but at the DH (700ft), the Runway was in-sight.Best Regards!MH

Regards Marc

[EUR VOR RDL 205 DME 15.7]

Guest Basten_TFF754

Very nice screen shot! Just love to fly that approach. May I ask how you get those range rings to display on the ND? I just can't get them on there.Regards,______________________________Basten HeidemaProud MD11 AddictFLY DC JETS!

>Very nice screen shot! Just love to fly that approach. May I>ask how you get those range rings to display on the ND? I just>can't get them on there.>>Regards,>______________________________>Basten Heidema>Proud MD11 Addict>>FLY DC JETS!To display the range rings, click the center of the range knob.- John

Well John, that works with the 737 series, but not with the 747.At least in my case.Regards.Miquel Egea.

Guest Nightflier

I figured out how to enable the rings from a search on this forum...go into the "747400gauges" file located in the main PMDG folder and look for this:[ND]ClipMap=1ArptRwyLimit=6000TCAS_NumMaxAcft=100TCAS_ShowOtherTFC=0TCAS_ShowRangeRings=0 <------change this to "1"Also works with the 737Robert

Hi,yes, you have only to change:TCAS_ShowRangeRings=0toTCAS_ShowRangeRings=1Per default this value is set to "0".But a few airlines have this option (Lufthansa too) and so you may set the value to "1". Ciao!MH

Regards Marc

[EUR VOR RDL 205 DME 15.7]

Hey Mark you set up quite a challenging approach there. How did the landing work out????? Was the tailwind still there when you turned the corner?CheersSteve

Cheers

Steve Hall

Guest Basten_TFF754

Thanks a lot!______________________________Basten HeidemaProud MD11 AddictFLY DC JETS!

yeah...about 10 kts tailwind if the wind condition didn't change in ground level. Did u end up rolling over the edge of runway and surfing on victoria harbour, like the china air 13 years ago..ben

>Hi,>>yes, you have only to change:>>TCAS_ShowRangeRings=0>>to>>TCAS_ShowRangeRings=1>>Per default this value is set to "0".>But a few airlines have this option (Lufthansa too) and so you>may set the value to "1". >>>>Ciao!>MHHi,I tryied this and it works, but when closing the flight, and at the next load of a flight with 744 (even is the previous flight is saved) those range rings dissapears!Someone ???

>I tryied this and it works, but when closing the flight, and at the >next load of a flight with 744 (even is the previous flight is saved) >those range rings dissapears!>Someone ???>I have just tried it (changed 0 for 1) and it works always. The arcs appear and dissapear pushing the centre of the TFC button.Good to know a new thing that is not explained in the PMDG manuals.Jose Luis

Guest Jacob Lee

I flew into VHHH today, and boy was it bad! Overcast, could barely see anything. But the important thing: the runway was in sight at the DH. I wasn't really looking forward to going around.

Guest D17S

I've hand flown this approach without much success (practice makes perfect!), but I've never even tried a coupled approach. I imagine the sim-trick (here) will be to disco the AP at a moment -- not many milliseconds -- after this screen shot . . . then taking your best shot at that final turn.I don't remember any guidance to the runway beyond the checkerboard ILS . . . and just out-of-sight mountain range immediately beyond.Fun to run on the sim, but I imagine anything beyond Cat II tended to shut down the airport in real life. Any remembrances about how that used to go? What kind of minimums were allowed. Certainly (?) coupled approaches to the checkerboard had to be verboden?? By now, I'll bet we've all seen that (U-Tube'd) Koran 744 'encountering windsheer' on final. Yea, right! I think we all know better. He just missed the turn and decided to BONZI! it on in anyway. Simply amazing what that giant airplane can do . . . ahhh, in a pinch. Anyone tried KDCA yet? That's a good one too.

Guys,If my memory serves me well the MDA for the IGS 13 approach at Kai Tak is 680'.On a good weather day I believe many pilots would take the a/c slightly to the left of the IGS centreline in order to reduce the amount of bank required for the final turn. On a bad weather day they would have followed the IGS indications on the numbers until the rwy environment was visible, commencing a GA if the rwy environment was not visible at MDA (IMMEDIATE right turn onto HDG 136 outbound to the TH VOR 7 & up to 4500'). The small print on the approach plate reminded them that continued flight following MDA on the IGS indications would result in the loss of terrain clearance!!!In any case the final approach segment was always a purely visual approach, so you need to throw away the AP, FD, A/T & get back to some good old 'seat of the pants' flying. In better weather this would have probably occurred further out once landing flap was selected (30 deg) this normally occurred over the OM.Its a great way to practice your hand-flying technique, mantaining the correct bank angle (sometimes up to 25 deg taking into account any wind), whilst maintaining the correct rate of decent with the throttles. You may find that an additional 10% N1 is required during that final right turn in order to mantain that decent rate - always looking for the TDZ as you aiming point, never the piano keys other wise you will be too low!!!Autobrake 2 should be sufficient, modulated by reverse thrust, you can always feed in an additional Autobrake increment should you need to. (I have programmed the 'I' key in order to achieve this)I'll try & get a screenie this week.Regards

Steve Bell

"Wise men talk because they have something to say.  Fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato (latterly attributed to Saul Bellow)

The most useful tool on the AVSIM Fora ... 'Mark forum as read'