Sign in to follow this  
pedrobas

ABEAM function

Can someone help me explaining what's the ABEAM function in the fix page and how to use it, since i've been looking for in this forum and in the manual and can't find anything about it.Thanks in advancePedro Bascones

Hi, Pedro...ATC sometimes ask you (the pilot) to notify them when you have arrived at (or have passed) a particular navaid/waypoint. The navaid may be exactly on your route OR it may be off to one side (sometimes by many nautical miles). In the latter case, the definition of arriving at/passing a navaid is when the navaid is at 90 degrees to your track (or "ABEAM").If you enter a navaid on your FIX Page and then select ABEAM, this will generate data which will tell you how close you are to the ABEAM point. You can also downselect the ABEAM lat/long and enter it as a waypoint on your LEGS page (if you really wanted to).As far as I can recall, this function is NOT available on the ground.Hope this makes sense.Cheers.Q>

Thanks for the answer, thar clarifies me a lot. I've seen the ITVV video of the 747 and in the ABEAM the ND draws a perpendicular green line from the navaid to our route that i don't see it in the PMDG, is this not simulated?Thanks again

"the ND draws a perpendicular green line from the navaid to our route that i don't see it in the PMDG, is this not simulated?"Sorry, Pedro, I'm not sure. Was the Abeam point on a curved section of the route? (I'm not sure if the real FMC can generate an Abeam point on an arc).Cheers.Q?

Guest Bjorn Ghezzi

Hi Pedro,what you refer to is obtained using the FIX page on the CDU. Those are range circles, which are drawn by inserting the name of a FIX: either VOR,NDB,ISEC or ARPT and the inputting a radial and a distance.Regards,Bjorn

Pedro,to get the FMC to draw a green line you have to insert a radial on the FIX page. The FMC will also then calculate the distance to your route. You can also insert this point into your flightplan if needed. In the picture below you can see what I mean. On LSK2R and 3R I have inserted two differnt radials and also auto-generated the abeam point by clicking on LSK5R. I think the FMC will generate the closest point when clicking on ABEAM both radial and dist, at least it does here in the sim. http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/162270.jpgHere's just the ABEAM point in the flightplan:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/162271.jpgThis works exactly the same in the 747 (sim, that is:))

Pedro, although I haven't been able to check it in real life, the perpendicular line is modelled in another well-known desktop 744 sim. Could be an option... or, as you suspect, it's simply missing in PMDG.Cheers.Q>

Thanks everybody for your help. To show what i said before i put this here. Obviously PMDG doesn't model this.

The first pic looks like the ABEAM display I've seen in PS1, but the second looks like a manually selected VOR radial. The first dashed line terminates at the magenta route, the second dashed line extends on both sides of the VOR to the edge of the ND.Nice pics :)Cheers.Q>