Sign in to follow this  
Tristan

When to start turn inbound to outbound on VOR?

Hi there,When inbound on a VOR, at what DME should you start your turn to go outbound and not overshoot? Presumably speed and rate of turn are important factors? Are there any methods for acurate VOR flying? ThxTristan

Not only speed and rate of turn but change of heading is also a factor.Having said that I would not try to turn this problem into high algebra while handling cockpit duties - my instructor always taught me to keep arithmetic out of the cockpit while doing serious IFR. If I were flying an LNAV capable aircraft I would let autopilot handle it since it can do the job perfectly with all the proper lead. If flying manually I would initiate the turn about 30 sec before overflying the station. If flying a relatively slow GA aircraft and tracking a real VOR signal I would start the turn as soon as the needle becomes too sensitive/erratic.Michael J.

Thanks Michael,So I'm guessing it's usual to make corrections after flying outbound? I was under the impression that the skill of IFR flying could be down to a fine art? Tristan

>flying could be down to a fine art? >there is nothing wrong with overshooting slightly, corrections are norm in the world of flying. When shooting an ILS approach and flying manually you do make corrections all the time, not sure whether it qualifies as art but it is called "safe and practical" flying. Michael J.

flying is "constant correction of error", while the art of mastering IFR is "small transistion and small correction". This is what my instructor told me, and should be graved in mind.ben