Sign in to follow this  
Guest Raymond

Need help for 747 and 737

Guest Raymond

I purchased and downloaded the 747 and the 737 (with both sets of 737s). After some difficulty (I am not really computer literate) I downloaded the British Airways livery. Both of the planes are now British Airways appearing when going to the spot view. However ATC refuses to refer to them as "Speedbird". I went to the config areas of both and speed bird (I have tried changing it to all variations of the word such as SPEEDBIRD etc.) Paul at PMDG suggests voice pack but failed to advise on how one does that. Further, I am unable to taxi the 747 as it refuses to recognize my rudder pedal efforts. I do not have this trouble with any of my other aircraft so I know it is not the rudder pedals.......I really find these PMDG's almost more trouble than they are worth..but I would really like to see how it is when they operate correctly..RegardsRaymond

hm. as for the atc recognition, i saw somewhere here that you would change the aircraft cfg in particular, the atc call sign as "SPEED BIRD". there is a space between the words.as for rudder pedals, i don't own one, so i am only speculating that it could be the auto coordination in FS9. disable it. and also, make sure that your computer is even recognizing your pedals. go to game controllers in your XP control panel, and make sure it's recognized and calibrated

Guest Raymond

Tried every variation of speedbird...two words one work capitals lowercase etc.....auto coord is always disabled...and finally as I indicated all other aircraft...about 100...work just fine. It is only PMDG aircraft that fail to recognize the pedals.RegardsRaymond

Guest Raymond

Hi, its Raymond again. Found another problem complicated too. When implimenting the FMC and putting in the legs from London to Paris, (EGLL to LFPG) I insert May then DPE then CGN then change to depart and arrive and put in depart from 9R and then arrive at 9L it then gives me an option for the miles before RW09L which I put at 20 miles. Then returning to legs I have to insert RX09 in the boxes after CGN but when I then try to insert RW09L in the boxes after RX09 I get a DISCO inserted after RX09L which means I do not have path after RX09L to RW09L. Lastly does anyone know the gate number for British Airways? I can see all of the BA's around a terminal but can't seem to identify it.

Guest Raymond

Hey....it's me again with one question....where is the Nav 1 and 2 radios on the 747 I looked everywhere COM and overhead and well just everywhere. Had to land manually...nice landing but would prefer auto land.

Guest Raymond

Look...its Raymond again with good news. I changed the livery from BA to United and it taxied very nicely thank you. Something must be wrong with the British Airways delivery. (anyone out there?)

Raymond,No offense but you should really take some time to study the manuals and do some advanced searching on this forum for your questions. I think all of them are either in the manual or has been answered here before.Good luck with your studies,

Guest Raymond

Gee thanks for your help. It's always nice to go to the forum to get some help. I don't know a great deal about computers and even less about the airline industry. I don't believe I have a manual except something called the Boeing 747 Standard Procedure Guide which states is not a substitute for the PMDG manual. I looked around my closet and cannot seem to locate that. Well forget you....I"ll settle for anyone who can help me. If you are reading this, assume it is written by someone who has done ADVANCED SEARCHING and cannot find any answers to my questions and has no manual. Oh yeah...thanks again for the assistance. You are a great help to someone like me ........

Guest Raymond

I have been studying and writing since your note but cannot find how to get ATC to call my 747 and 737 "Speedbird". Perhaps you could assist in this matter. Anyone is welcome to call me names as long as they help me answer my problem.

RaymondI can't help you with the SPEEDBIRD problem but you can manually set the nav radio on the 747 by going to the NAV/RAD page in the FMC and typing in the scratchpad the frequncy and ILS heading in this form: xxx.xx/xxx, and then upselecting this to the left ILS line select key above. This will be a manual entry which will show up with an M after it. Normally the FMC will autoselect the ILS frequency and heading when you select a runway or approach in the arrivals page when you select your destination airport. The 747 does not have a nav radio that you can tune like the 737. There should be some manuals installed if you bought the 747 from PMDG or Aerosoft, located in Start/Programs/PMDG Simulations in your start menu. Don't give up on this aircraft. This is the best 747 you can fly in FS9 and personally I like to fly this plane almost exclusively to all the others in my hanger.Kim

Guest Raymond

I do not use the Queen of the Skies as I have too many difficulties. Not only the Speedbird problem which seems to give me poor gates on landing at Charles de Galle but I use rudders to taxi and when I hit the left rudder the plane lurches to the right. I cannot taxi to the runway and if that wasn't enough I find the FMC less responding in certain cases than other aircraft. Funny but I have no trouble with the 737 except here to I cannot get Speedbird on BA aircraft. Thanks Kim, I found the ILS answer to be perfect.

Hi Raymond,I have good news and bad news.The good news...***WARNING*** back up your "Aircraft.cfg" before making any changes.The ATC "Speedbird" problem is most likely in your "Aircraft.cfg" file. In it you will see an entry in your British Airways livery that looks like this:atc_airline=SpeedBirdThat is the problem, it should look like this:atc_airline=Speed BirdThe space between "Speed" and "Bird" must be there.The bad news...This will make ATC call you Speedbird but will not change where ATC tells you to park. Only AI aircraft are parked by airline, not the user.

Guest Raymond

[fltsim.3]title=747-400 British Airways 'Change for Good'sim=B747-400model=RRpanel=sound=RRtexture=BA2kb_checklists=PMDG747-400_CHECKatc_id_color=0xffffffffatc_id=G-BNLZatc_airline=Speed Birdatc_flight_number=744ui_manufacturer=Boeing-PMDGui_type=747-400 RR RB211 Enginesui_variation=British Airways "Change for Good"description=Boeing 747-400 with RB211 engines v 1.0nPrecision Manuals Development Groupnwww.precisionmanuals.com nFor use with BOEING 747 by PMDG nFor Technical Support please visit www.precisionmanuals.com or email support@precisionmanuals.com nvisual_damage=0atc_heavy=1THIS IS THE CONFIG FOR THE SPEEDBIRD 747 BRITISH AIRWAYS. IT PRODUCES ATC CALL OF "744 HEAVY". I HAVE TRIED EVERY VARIATION OF SPEEDBIRD WITHOUT RESULTS. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED

Hi Raymond,Glad I could help with the ILS usage. Your rudder pedal problems seem strange. Do you have the ones from CH Products? I own all three CH Product controls, yoke, throttle quadrant and the rudder pedals and they work fine for me but they were a handfull to set up intitally. I'm running CH Product's Control Manager that came with the throttle quadrant that allows you to program all button presses and axis functions to do what you want with all the controls. I couldn't get everything to work right with just the options menu within flight sim. I don't own the full version of FSUPIC from Pete Dawson so I can't program button presses and axis confiqurations from the modules interface. When you buy a third party add on aircraft, it comes with a shortened version of FSUPIC that will allow that aircraft to function within flight sim. In order to get full functionality, you have to register and pay for it. However, you only need the small version to fly the 747. If you press the ALT key and bring up the menu while in flight sim you will see a modules option. On the pull down menu you will see a listing for FSUPIC. Click on it to see if you have version 3.5 or better, which should have come with 747 you purchased. Then check in the Options menu and make sure all assignments for your axis are correct. Sometimes a brake input will get mixed up with a rudder input. Also make sure that the brake sensitivity settings are all the way up and the rudder sensitivity is set down a bit, try about halfway. Good luck.Kim