Sign in to follow this  
Guest javito19

insufficient fuel?

Guest javito19

I was wondering what are the fuel capacities on the 747-400f? loading a flight plan from KSFO-YSSY, and I kept getting an Insufficient fuel messages from the FMC. It also happened when I was planning a flight from EDDF-MMMX. I thought that 747 had long range but I guess not.well if someone can help me I would much appreciate it.Jose J. Nunez

Jose the fuel capacities are in the manual. The 747 will fly from SFO to SYD but there may be a limit as to how much payload you can carry. It is also dependent on what reserves you have set in the FMC as well as the enroute winds. This route is flown regularly by 747 aircraft.

Cheers

Steve Hall

Guest javito19

oh ok. Yeah it does make sense to take weather into account, I should be embarrased we actually just got done with aircraft performance in school. But thats beside the point. I would like to thank PMDG for a great model! I was never really a 747 fan until I purchased the PMDG 747.I love it..Its so realistic. I love how the sound is practically perfect. I worked for swissport as a ramper and used to service Virgins 747, and man hearing this plane in my computer brings back so many memories...THANKS TO PMDG!.Jose J. Nunez

Well I am lucky enough to fly the real thing and I can tell you this is as close to the real thing as it currently gets....not perfect but very close. As long as you have accurate winds loaded into the FMC then it will give you very accurate flight planning info. If you are getting the insufficient fuel message before departure then take a look at the progress page and check the fuel at destination. Compare this to the reserves you set in the performance page and this will give you an idea as to how far out you are. Then you can check other parameters like weight, winds and reserves. KSFO to YSSY is a bit of a push with a load. We used to operate KLAX to YSSY (about the same distance) and used to have alternate fuel (which we always carry regardless of weather at destination) calculated from either TOD or the approach commencement point dependent on revenue load. This meant having to make a decision to divert either at TOD or the approach commencement point. As we arrived into Sydney early in the morning it could be exciting stuff in the winter months with unforecast fog forming in the last hrs of the flight.

Cheers

Steve Hall

Guest javito19

SWEET. Man your lucky you get to fly them. Hopely in like 10 years I'll be up there myself. I got to Embry-Riddle which is a good school,"just really really expensive", and I day dream everyday of flying for the airlines or even cargo. hopefully that day will come for me.well thanks a ton Steve, you've been a good help.

Guest javito19

yeah I saw this soon after I posted this message..hehe. "sorry"