Sign in to follow this  
JSACKS

744: VERY weird effect in VC on multiple monitors

I am running the 744 on dual LCD monitors in "spanned horizontal" mode using a 7900GTO card with nVidia 91.47. It is beautiful and the VC is great with 38" of diagonal paradise. However I have a very weird thing happen when I run the sim in 2560x1024 resolution, and only that specific resolution, as follows: whenever I am in the VC and click on anything that is clickable, the 2-D panel suddenly appears. For e.g., when I click the MCP ALT button in the VC, the 2-D panel suddenly appears at the lower half of my screen until I finish clicking the ALT button. Also, if I bring up anything like the FMC, or bring up any other sub panel like the radio stack, that also mysteriously brings up the 2D panel and it overlays part of the VC for the length of time I am using it.When in flight in this res, I sometimes get a sort of bleed-through of scenery I am overflying inside the VC when I click on a clickable item in the VC.I don't get this very bizarre effect in any other resolution--ever-- and am exceedingly perplexed by it. It only occurs in 2560x1024 res.Can anybody think what might be causing this weird stuff to happen?Thanks!Jonathan

Guest bholly12

Hey Jonathan I had a similar problem with VC's in multiple aircraft that I may have solved by disabling the "show cockpit tooltips" option in the FS general settings menu. Problem hasn't occurred since turning this off.Regards,Brad Holly

Brad:Thanks for your post.Since then I have migrated to Matrox Triplehead-To-Go and no more such problem, thankfully. There are various little issues nonetheless with all of this stuff and they all need some sort of workaround. The "homework" never stops!Appreciate your message.Cheers,JS

Jonathan,This is actually an Nvidia driver bug - I've reported it to them several times and they never fix it...What settings were you using on your card? I believe it's one of the AA modes that causes it.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

I think I have FSAA of 4x and Aniso of 8x. No special settings or tweaks. Anyway, now that I've migrated to MATROX Triplehead, this weird stuff seems to have gone away and is not recurring (touchwood!). My current setting with the 7900 GTO card and 91.47 drivers is 3840x1024 over 50 diagonal inches of LCDs, and believe me, the Queen looks absolutely glorious ALL of the time in that mode, wow !I think I had observed previously (and not reported on the forum) that when I was in "DualView" mode with just two LCDs, using this same card and drivers, it seemed to be directly related to the loading of the PMDG 744 panel in 2D or 3D mode. If the initial panel loading (from either a saved flight or just the select aircraft menu) went normally, then this weird effect did not occur; but about one half of the time, the loading of the panel seemed to be corrupted with the lower panel half missing and from then on, the weirdness would occur all of the time during that flight sim session.I think I had also read both here and elsewhere that if one turned off ToolTips in FS9, this would eliminate the weird effect. I did try that but it did nothing for me and as I really like ToolTips for certain add-ons, I switched it back on.Jonathan

I just remembered something else now that I went down to see the PC and take a look at something: I believe that the weird display behavior disappeared in DualView with the res of 2560x1024 that I had been using when I went from Trilinear filtering to Bilinear filtering. Yeah....I can't rememember how or why I changed the filtering but there was some message on a forum here or somewhere else that triggered my mind to change the filtering. I'd never really seen a visible diff with Trilinear filtering vs. Bilinear so I changed it back to bilinear. It'd been Trilinear for about a year or more. I just checked the FS PC and it's still just bilinear filtering.Jonathan