Sign in to follow this  
rwy12

Help setting SIDS.

HiI have the 744 pmdg.Could somebody please help me with setting SIDS-I use fsbuild to plan a flight.In the departure section of the FMC when I set the runway and choose the SID at the top of the list I get either: a. Discontinuities b. the path of the SID is no way near the direction of the flightpath.This makes it difficult to plan a good departure path.Surely this does not happen in real life? I have downloaded the sid/star data from NAVDATA.Could you please tell me where can I download the sid/stars that are appropiate for te runway and do not present the above problems.Looking forward to your help.Qas

Qas it is normal to get a route discontinuity after selecting a SID. You can either join up the discontinuity or leave it until you get airborne (It depends on the tracking requirements of the SID). As for the path of the SID not aligning with the direction of flight I cannot help. Are you sure that the SID is available for that runway? It would be helpful if you could post a screen shot of a typical problem. Take the shot with the PFD and ND enlarged along with the FMC legs page moved to a position that does not obscure the ND.

Cheers

Steve Hall

Thanks for the reply Steve.I use 27L at EGLL-normally I choose the Sid at the top of the list(I think it's BPK6G).I have only done few flights-been having alot of trouble with PC crashing.When I fly to EGCC the resulting fp after sorting the discontinuityis OKish-I planned a flight to LEBL and it turned out to be a mess.I will post a picture within few days.Isn't there another place to down load more accurate SIDS,surely in real life you don't get the discontinuities?Qas

"Isn't there another place to down load more accurate SIDS,surely in real life you don't get the discontinuities?"NAVData is the only source until Navigraph develops SIDSTARS along with AIRAC data, due probably late next year, or someone else creates a better procedure. All non-US SIDSTARS are done by individual contributors. Most of us really appreciate the effort by enthusiasts done at no cost to the rest of us.The current EGLL procedure:SID BPK6G RNW 27L KEEP HDG UNTIL 580 HDG 280 INTERCEPT RADIAL 121 FROM NAVAID BUR FIX D282F FIX D301I AT OR ABOVE 3500 FIX D319H AT OR ABOVE 4000 NAVAID CHT NAVAID BPK 6000Note the procedure ends at navaid BPK. If your first fix after BPK6G is BPK you shouldn't get a disco. The procedure could be alternatively written such that a vectors command ended the route sequence which would also eliminate the disco error, but the author chose not to do that.I recommend users of procedures developed by contributors contact the author directly if they have questions or issues. How else will they get the feedback they need to improve their support. In this case, it is: simon.butler2@ntlworld.com

Dan Downs KCRP

Qas,"...surely in real life you don't get the discontinuities?"Surely you do! If my memory serves me right one of the real world checks after entering or altering a flight plan in the FMC is to check it for discontinuities.To match the departure procedure to the runway you need to have charts or know what SIDs are used for what runway. Eurocontrol has all charts for europe. It's a heck of an interface but it's all there for free.Let me see if I can dig up a link for ya.EDIT: http://www.ead.eurocontrol.int/Hope it helps,

>Eurocontrol has all charts for europe. It's a heck of an>interface but it's all there for free.>> Eurocontrol has a horrible website where you will get to download nothing after getting lost through useless and endless links and more links leading to nowhere... Well, this is my experience.Navdata forever !!!Jose Luis.

It is quite normal in the real world to get route discontinuities following a SID. It all depends, as Dan has mentioned, how the SID has been coded. You also have to ensure that the correct transition has been selected (if there is one to chose from).If you can post a screen shot that will really help.

Cheers

Steve Hall

Hi Qas.As Mats says, you need to have charts for departure to determine which SID to choose. There are several SIDs for each runway depending on the direction for your flight. The BPK sids (in this case BPK6G as you are at 27L) are used more for east/northbound flight (as via airways M185 and L620). BPK6G is definetively not good for southbound to LEBL as you tried. Try instead MID3G or SAM2G for southbound flights from 27L to an appropriate airway from the procedure end at Midhurst (MID) or Southampton (SAM). And for the record, the procedure for EGLL made by Simon Butler is of top quality and always up to date (and for that matter all of his proedure files).I will also recommend Eurocontrol for all European charts. For UK you also have an option at http://www.ais.org.uk/

HiSteve, I have attached few images of the before and after for egllegccand eglllebl.I use fsbuild 2.2 and in both cases the sid BPK6G is recommended.This is ok for egllegcc but it needs alot of sorting for eglllebl.I now choose CPT3G for egllelbl-Qas

Qas,I don't think FSBuild has the logic to choose the right terminal procedure (SID/STAR/DP). You need to pick those manually. I might be wrong though. You could check with the FSB forum http://www.fsbuild.com/forum/BTW. There's and update to 2.3 available at SimMarket for FSB.Hope it helps,

Hi Qas,The problem seems to be that FSBuild is giving you the wrong SID or at least you are selecting the wrong one. If you look at the second attachment you posted you will see on the legs page that the first enroute waypoint is WOBURN. A Brookpark9 (BRK6) SID will not take you there. You need a WOBURN SID (WOB2G or WOB2F..from memory so it is possible that it could have changed a little). Most SIDs are called by the waypoint that constitutes the start of the enroute phase (first waypoint) or to a transition point.I suggest that you not select a SID in FSBuild and use the DEP/ARR page of the FMC to select it.Load the route into the FMC. Activate and Execute it. Then go to the ARR/DEP page and select the departure runway (this will bring up the choice of SIDs for that runway. Then select the SID that has a waypoint on your route (in this case a WOBURN departure). If there are any transitions then these will appear after you have selected the main SID.Go to the legs page and have a look what is there. Use the PLAN function on the ND (note: Unlike the real aircraft you have to execute the modification before it will appear on the PLAN mode. You can always select another one later if it is incorrect.If you wish you can join up any discontinuities but look at the charts and make sure that this will not violate the tracking requirements of the SID.I think that you will find that things will go a lot smoother if you follow this procedure.

Cheers

Steve Hall

HiMany thanks to everyone for all the help-and special thanks to Steve for the lengthy explanation.I am using the FMC and DEP/ARR page to choose and amend the sid.I did not know that the sid's name was similar to the way point-in fact I don't know how to tell a waypoint from all the other data-I think a waypoint is the name on the magenta line?Next time I will look out for a sid name that looks similar to the 1st way point and adjust it as required.I like simming but I must admit I have a very little knowledge of the the real world procedures-I am grateful to you all for all the help now and in the future.Qas

Guest tomahawk_pa38

Qas,You seem to be regarding a 'Disco' as an error message ! As far as I know it definately isn't an error but a specific prompt to make sure you check that you have inputted the right waypoints and SIDs etc and a reminder for you to check that your route as inoput is 'sensible' ie you haven't accidentally put a waypoint with the same Ident on the other side of the world !!