Sign in to follow this  
Guest jonwoody

FMC programming - PMDG 744 - Cant input some Airways??

Guest jonwoody

Hi,I have been flying the PMDG 738 for 12 mths and the 744 for a few months and input my plans into the FMC regularly.When programming the routes into the FMC, I have found some airways are not being accepted.In this case, I am doing KEWR>OMDB, as follows:... HUO J63 STOMP J95 BUF J531 SSM NCA15 ORT J502 OTZ J123 OME DIR YUREE G212 TA G370 UEEE B155 UEMO A180 UIKK B151 RO A817 MIKET A91 UNWW G121 SR A366 KRG G96 DZG A370 DARVA B143B AFGAN W16 ASB A240 RIKOP A419 MAXMOI programmed all the way up to the G370 to go from TA to UEEE and the airway G370 promts "invalid entry". I checked FSNav and G370 will get from TA to UEEE (TA>UHMM>BA>INLIR>OMAVI>BAGUN>LOMUK>MIPRI>UEEE - via a winding track).I am inputting the data on the correct side of the FMC, airways or DIR on the 'via' and the VOR,NDB,wpt on the 'to' side.I am running AIRAC 0612 and my txt files contain the G370 airway with the waypoints in them. I even checked the lat/lon references thinking that may be the source, but they are the same.I am stumped. Can anyone help.(PS it has happened with other airways).RegardsJon

Jon,There seems to be a glitch with entering waypoints named as airports as part of an VIA airway route into the NG FMC. This has been reported a couple of times on this forum and I have experienced it as well.Workaround is to enter airway specific route up until the waypoint before the airport wpt and then do a DCT to the airport waypoint.In your case it would look like... TA G370 MIPRI DCT UEEE ... If you wan't more information about this issue try using the advanced search function for this forum.Hope it helps,

To add to Mats explanation, the FMC will accept only those fixes or waypoints that are defined as on the airway in the file wpNavRTE.txt (I'm using my poor memory to recollect the exact file name) located in the FMCWP folder, which is obtained during AIRAC updates.This is consistent with how it works in RW.. it's possible to file with FSS or ATC to join an airway anywhere along it's route but if filing via computer (such as DUATS) one can only join the airway at a fix defined on the airway.One solution, for simming, is to open the route definition file and do a text search on the airway (such as J46), you'll then see all the fixes that define the airway in the sim environment and you can then pick the one that works best for you.Hope this helps too

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest jonwoody

Thanks to both of you. I tried the suggested route without the airport fix and it did work. I thought I was going nuts.Hopefully a fix is on the way.RegardsJon

Guest benhoffman

Just an FYI, you seem to be going WEST when you should be going EAST on a North Atlantic Track to Dubai, cuts out about 5,000nm :)

Guest Spader

Hmmm . . . For my FMC programming, the FMC will reject even valid airways. I tried to put 'J187' into the VIA column before putting in the waypoint (in this case, 'NOVEM'), and the FMC read back, 'Invalid Entry.'Put simply, my FMC 4 times out of 5 will say 'Invalid Entry' when I try to put in an airway into the VIA column on the RTE page(s).

Guest AirForcePilot

In the real world you can only join an airway via a fix on that airway, even if you're filing with FSS or ATC.