Sign in to follow this  
Guest FreSte

Engine Start switch Selection

Guest FreSte

Hi all,reading the normal procedures/checklist of boeing 737 there is an instruction to set the engine start switches in the CONT position before the take-off (being part of the "before T/O procedure").The same istruction is also present in the "landing procedure". COnsequntly, I suppose that during the climb/cruise phases, the switch is moved in the OFF position. Neverthless, in the climb and cruise normal procedures I can't find any reference of turning off the engine starters.So my dubt is if my supposition could be wrong. If not, when we have to move to OFF the switches?Thank you in advance for any reply. Bye,

I understand that the way to do it is more or less this one:Takeoff:I turn them on before entering the runway for takeoff.I turn them off after complete flap retraction.Landing:I turn them on in final when cleared to land.I turn them off after vacating the runway for taxi.Jose Luis.

Guest FreSte

Thank you Jose.What you said is what I've supposed to be.But... just curious that also in the manual of the real plane, there are only the two istructions of moving the switch in CONT position, in the "before the teake-off" and "landing" normal procedures, but no istruction to move the switch in the OFF position during the flight.Bye

Yes, somewhere (maybe in T. Metzinger's tutorial) is said that you switch them on in critical phases of flight (takeoff and landing or go around), when an engine flame-out would be unacceptable.You should also switch them on under very heavy rain or hard icing conditions.Jose Luis

Guest dghart

>Hi all,>reading the normal procedures/checklist of boeing 737 there is>an instruction to set the engine start switches in the CONT>position before the take-off (being part of the "before T/O>procedure").>>The same istruction is also present in the "landing>procedure". COnsequntly, I suppose that during the>climb/cruise phases, the switch is moved in the OFF position.>Neverthless, in the climb and cruise normal procedures I can't>find any reference of turning off the engine starters.>>So my dubt is if my supposition could be wrong. If not, when>we have to move to OFF the switches?>>Thank you in advance for any reply. Bye,>>The "Cont" position of the engine switches refers to "continuous relight" which continually operates the igniters. As someone else said, in critical phases of flight the last thing you want is a "flame out" situation. This also includes flying through heavy precipitation, etc.