Sign in to follow this  
Guest georg

747 Callouts, FMC and External power

Guest georg

Hello,Just a few quick questions. Firstly, I made some traffic circuits at EGLL yesterday and the circuit altitude was 3000 feet MSL. The first touch and go everything was perfect, but during the next landings I never got any altitude callouts from the aircraft. I've read that the system is programmed so that it doesn't make repeated callouts over a variable landscape, but there must be a way to reset the altitude callouts for traffic circuits, I suppose. What is the trick behind it?I programmed the FMC for a local EGLL flight and surprisingly, when I set EGLL both to DEP and ARR fields and selected the appropriate runways on DEP/ARR page, it didn't successfully activate the route when pressing ACTIVATE, but it messed up the system and when I tried to add a point to LEGS, it kept saying PROGRAM ERROR for everything. So I deleted the ORIGIN for resetting the FMC and tried again. I finally figured out that it needed some waypoint in the LEGS before setting the ARR runway, otherwise it errors the system. I set LAM VOR just as a fake point for my route and then it worked fine.Finally, I am wondering how do you use the External units feature? Meaning that do you always go to the PMDG menu to connect and disconnect it or is it acceptable to leave it ON all the time? It would be great if there was such a system that once parked the external units would get connected and once connecting the APU or starting pushback, they get disconnected again. It's not hard to go to the menu, but just a bit annoying for some reason.Thanks!!

Very interesting...I've had this happen from time to time. I have 2 (slightly off-topic) questions:>I've read that the system is programmed so that it doesn't make >repeated callouts over a variable landscape, How does it know which callouts to make?>but there must be a way to reset the altitude callouts for traffic >circuits, I supposeThere's a reset button somewhere on the EFIS control panel (can't remember exactly where...anybody know what it does?Paul

Hi there,Regarding the external power, if I understand the question correctly...If you want external power to be available when you are on stand/on the ground, you simply leave the checkbox within the PMDG options checked permanently.... This doesnt mean that external power is *on* permanently... rather that it is *available*. I believe this is the phrasing used for the checkbox - "external power available". Then when you pull onto stand, a few moments after setting parking brake the external power will be connected (which you can check on the EICAS ELEC page). In short - the option within the PMDG menus is not an on/off switch for the external power insomuch as when it is checked external power is not always on!!Hope this makes sense!!Adam

For the GPWS callouts, the aircraft has to climb above a certain altitude to reset itself. I don't remember the altitude though. I never did a go around or a pattern but the reset button might also work. It's in the centre of the MINIMUMS knob on the EFIS panel.Ryan GamurotLucky to live Hawai'ihttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/supporter.jpg

http://www.jdtllc.com/images/rcv4bannersupporter.jpg

Guest georg

Thanks for the replies! I'm not sure if that RESET button is the right one though, because it's probably for the DH(DA) reset.