Sign in to follow this  
strider

737 panels too dark to see switches?

Hey gang. Apparently I've missed a switch somewhere. I can get the "gauges" to light using the "panel lights" switch in the overhead and I understand that the "dome light" is only available in the VC, which I don't use (please...no suggestions about "Track IR"! :(...I only fly 2D.). So how does one turn on the cockpit lighting, in the 2D environment, so that switches can be found at night? Please tell me there is more lighting for the panel at night! I can hardly tell what the switches are when entering the cockpit "cold". Vic

> Hey gang. Apparently I've missed a switch somewhere. I can>get the "gauges" to light using the "panel lights" switch in>the overhead and I understand that the "dome light" is only>available in the VC, which I don't use (please...no>suggestions about "Track IR"! :(...I only fly 2D.).>> So how does one turn on the cockpit lighting, in the 2D>environment, so that switches can be found at night? Please>tell me there is more lighting for the panel at night! I can>hardly tell what the switches are when entering the cockpit>"cold".>> VicIf you get the battery and standby switches on, just turn on the panel lighting, and you will have your light to complete everything else. This is what I do for night departures.- John

Guest planeman223

The switch is located in the upper middle section of the overhead panel. Its pretty big just click it once and voila! A good rule of thumb is turn them off 30 minutes before evening arrival to allow your eyes to adjust in the dark.Alex

Sorry gang...I was asking about more lighting than what the "panel lights" give in the dark. All the electronics light up fine but the switches are very hard for me to distinguish as it's too dark to read their text nomenclature? Not being an "old hand" at the NG I find myself fumbling around in the dark, guessing at the switches. I realize that experience will help but a little dim lighting, shining on the panels, would certainly be helpful. Vic

Never mind! I must have had some sort of graphics glitch as the first time I tried a night flight, with the "panel lights" switch on, my panel text did not light up (??). I tried it again tonight and the text lit up just fine. Now...I KNOW what you're thinkin' :(...and I can assure you I haven't lost my mind nor had I "over indulged", at the time (although I seem to be missing "several" cans of Guinness that were formerly in the cupboard?):-hmmm . Stranger things have happened to me in FS, to be sure. Anywho...it's enough that it's working now. I rarely complain, but always wonder, when things fix themselves. Vic