Sign in to follow this  
Guest captainmk

Autopilot sometimes playing up - VERY annoying!

Guest captainmk

OK I love this aircraft, and I love the realism, I admit it, but I just want to smash my screen when it comes to the autopilot. I managed to successfully get everything started etc (except for the FMC, which I still cannot understand how to use properly) and when I take off and activate the autopilot things seem to be going fine.Note: I am not using the FMC during this flight (and I have never used the FMC because I simple don't know how to execute a proper route) I am just using the basic autopilot and my GPS as an aid to navigation.But then at different situations, for example when I try a steep turn using the heading in the autopilot, it turns fine, but sometimes when I previously set the plane for climb or descent, the plane sometimes plays up and starts climbing or descending again (for example: if i was descending, the plane sometimes climbs again for some reason even though the vertical speed display and switch is still activated and at the same value) - does anyone have any idea why the autopilot plays up like this?And also aren't both altitude hold and vertical speed supposed to be selected and not just either altitude hold or vertical speed?And also, where can i find an easy to understand tutorial on how to program a flight with the navigation and fixes etc using the FMC? I know the basics of how to use the FMC itself, but I always get confused on how to enter a flight route or plan properly and execute everything properly. Any help would be immense appreciated.

Guest captainmk

>Have a look at the best tutorial ever...>>http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=86332>>You can also find the excellent track lessons on PMDG>website.>Hope this helps.>Best wishes.Thanks but I forgot to mention this thread is based on the 737 and not the 747. I'll use that tutorial when I fly the 747, thanks :)Any other help?

Without the FMC just keep in mind the set altitude on the MCP panel. For all practical purposes you will want to use LVL CH for altitude changes unless you are under 10'000 or are planning small altitude adjustments. The reason for this is because LVL CH can be abrupt for passengers. And also aren't both altitude hold and vertical speed supposed to be selected and not just either altitude hold or vertical speed? No. ALT HOLD holds at current altitude regardless of what is set on the MCP. If you were in either a climb or descent and you engaged ALT HOLD - the plane will capture the altitude at the MOMENT you pushed the button, this means it will descend back to the altitude while climbing. V/S is best used when you desire a particular descent or climb rate (Again best used under 10'000). Best,Randy J. Smith<<>>

Guest captainmk

Ok thanks a lot for your help guys :)