Sign in to follow this  
rgamurot

A/T Procedures During Landing

I'm slightly confused what A/T disconnect command ? Here's an old posting on the A/T by Robert Randazzo... Look specifically for "soft" disconnect...http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=searchThe TOGA switch should still be active in the air (although, with the A/P disengaged, you will have to do the flying). The TOGA switch remains available until about 5 seconds after reaching 5' radio height. Reverse Thrust gives you a soft disconnect (if the A/T was engaged for Autolanding). AFAIK, the TOGA switch will not be active again on the ground (after landing) unless you stow your reversers and put your flaps in the takeoff range.Hope this makes sense.Cheers.Q>

>Maybe those outbound cameras? I know of the lights that you>are talking about, but if the aircraft is landing under CATIII>conditions, or deep soup, then from the cockpit of a 747, I>don't think its possible to see them.That's the whole conundrum with low visibility procedures. You can land just fine automatically in 0 RVR but you can not get off the runway. I know some trials have been done with ground radar and D-GPS systems for low visibility ground ops but nothing operational yet AFAIK.I would say they'd go to an alternate with better visibility. Cheers,

Hi All,In reallife when aborting a take off, do they first close the thrust levers and when stopped disarm AT? OR do they disconnect and disarm AT then close the thrust and let the aircraft come to a complete stop?And which of the (throtle and yoke override) options in the PMDG Menu is the most realistic one?Cheers,Jacir

Most likely, the action of closing the throttles and disconnecting the A/T will be done at the same time... fingers for the throttles, and thumb for the disconnect. Disconnect will happen anyway, however, when the reversers are deployed. DisARMing of the A/T is unnecessary.Being able to override yoke and throttles manually is the most realistic.Cheers.Q>

Hi Q,I'm a bit confused:1. Why do your crews park the plane with the AT still armed?2. i thought selecting Reverse caused the AT switch itself to move to OFF...was i wrong this whole time?

"1. Why do your crews park the plane with the AT still armed?"It's quite common to do this (amongst the airlines). Nothing is going to happen to the throttles unless the engines are running AND the airplane is in T/O config AND you push a TOGA switch."2. i thought selecting Reverse caused the AT switch itself to move to OFF...was i wrong this whole time?"No, the A/T ARM switch on the 744 is purely a mechanical switch. It is not electrically latched. Perhaps you were thinking of the 737?Cheers.Q>

Re the A/T disconnect: on a RTO,once you have HOLD as the AT mode during the take off(65kts IAS) the servo motors are released so you can manually close the levers in the event of an RTO without the need to disconnect first.However we always hit the throttle lever disconnect switch in practice so you do it instinctively should you abort below 65kts and the servos are still engaged.Re taxi in low viz: just like you would in a car by looking out of the window and following the lights. With the map turned to min range the plan of the runway gives you a rough idea how far along you are.Most airports equiped for low viz that accomodate 744 will hame SMI surface movement indicators and so the controllers will be able to tell you your position,thats why a lot of airports now require you to have the transponder on during taxi.On taxi out,before take off checks should be done at a standstill,and a good trick is to manually tune the departure runway ILS and check its indications when you "think" you are lined up. That should help stop you from taking off on a taxiway by accident,which has been done before !CheersJon

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

Oh yeah, and we too keep the AT switch in the armed position.I once flew BOS-LHR with no autothrottle,its amazing how much you miss it when you don`t have it, its quite a pain checking the speed and making adjustments every minute,it interferes with reading the paper.Jon

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

>No, the A/T ARM switch on the 744 is purely a mechanical>switch. It is not electrically latched. Perhaps you were>thinking of the 737?>>Cheers.>Q>I know nothing of the 737. Is this how it works in the 767 also, or does the 767 have a hard disconnect on reverse selection?

>Oh yeah, and we too keep the AT switch in the armed>position.>I once flew BOS-LHR with no autothrottle,its amazing how much>you miss it when you don`t have it, its quite a pain checking>the speed and making adjustments every minute,it interferes>with reading the paper.>>JonThat must have been tiring. How'd you manage the extra work? Did the PF do all the work, or did you guys alternate speed control between PF and PNF?Paul

"I know nothing of the 737. Is this how it works in the 767 also, or does the 767 have a hard disconnect on reverse selection?"The 767 is the same as the 744.Cheers.Q>

>Our flight crews don't dis-ARM the A/T even after parking at>the gate. G/A is still available if you don't dis-ARM. To>disconnect, just hit the A/T disconnect switches on the>throttles (or programme a joystick button to do this.Hi, this doesn't apply to the B737, right? I don't think there's a Disconnect switch - only Disarm. Please let me know if I'm wrong.In that case I guess you would have to leave the A/T armed for a possible G/A.Geoff

Geoffrey Kent

"Hi, this doesn't apply to the B737, right? I don't think there's a Disconnect switch - only Disarm."I'm sure this must be mentioned in the manuals somewhere? There should be A/T disconnect switches on ends of the 737NG thrust lever knobs.Cheers.Q>

Just thought I'd clarify this....There are A/T disconnect switches on the 737NG thrust levers, but using these will also disARM the switch on the MCP. I assume, therefore, that you will have to rearm that switch to Go Around.Cheers.Q>