Sign in to follow this  

FS2002 and xp

Hi again, Boris. Go to the audio card site and look for either a driver update for WinXP and that card, or look for a FAQ section in tech support. Surely you can't be the only person whose having an issue with this card and WinXP. Good luck with itBest Regards,Ed Green, KCLTegreen1@carolina.rr.com

Oh, oh, oh, oh ... finally I made the test and installed Fly!II ... I better do not post what happened, Fly!II runs perfect incl. sound. Hmmm ...So that means that there must be some incompatibility between FS2002 and this damned soundcard. Where can I perhaps tweak FS2002 to make it more compatible (I already tried the Win98 and Win2000 compatibility settings with no success) ??Thanks again,

Ive got Win98 and the game works smoothly on mine, ocassionaly the frame rate drops to about 3fps, but otherwise its fine

Well the XP service pack will be released soon, in maybe a month or two so that might fix the problems you are having. Might be good to maybe search about on the Microsoft technical newsgroups just to see if theres a patch or a fix you can do to make it work.its a shame that you cant get it working though properly.Craig

Well there must be a way to "teach" fs2002 how to play sound. I made another test: I enabled sounds in fs2002 but put all volumes to min, so that sound is enabled but fs2002 has not to play a sound. With this setting FS2002 runs again with 30fps. As soon as I change 1 slider (FS2002 has to play something) the framerate freezes again. So the problem for FS2002 seems to be to play a wav-sound ... well that can

If thier are no driver updates for your soundcard that work then im afraid you might be out of luck. I suggest using a different newer game to test how well your card works. FLy II uses older DX routines then FS2002. Which is why it works. The problem is more likely the Newer Direct Sound FS2002 uses.

And there is no way to treat FS2002 to play sounds "different" or to disable direct sound?

No since they are microsofts toys:(.That stuff is hardcoded in the game.I guess you could try to turn down Direct sound it Dxdiag to Basic. ITs in the Sound tab. Cant promise it will work though. Its worth a try though.

At least Direct X 9 is only around the corner so that might fix it or it might not..Who knows,Craig

I would'nt like to sound pessimistic, but each game has its own reaction to a hardware incompatibility. Fly may have worked once well but it's possible that you have'nt seen where the problem is.I remember with my sound card, i could play without any problem cfs2 during one quarter of our, and have then a windows freezing. In the other hand fs2k2 was'nt working at all. That's the problem with XP, it works very well, but only if you have the good only-for-xp drivers.