Sign in to follow this  
Guest stevepow

Fmc Question

Guest stevepow

I have a question whenever i make a flight and i take off i hit auto pilot and everything is fine except that instead of the plane flying at a IAS speed of 250 before 10000 feet it always stays at IAS 260 wouldnt that be a problem in the real world? am i doing something wrong

No it would not. In the real world flying a heavy loaded 747 the min maneuvering speed will most likely always exceed the airport restriction of 250 knots. For example, if one's V2 speed is say 159 knots - simply add + 100 knots and you have 259 knots. Safety is always given priority. I recall one of the real world pilots on the team who flys the 747-400 stating that they as practice and in most cases are cleared to 300 knots well below 10,000 in their climbs. ATC know that aircraft such as a 747 will most of the time need to exceed 250 knots while climbing. Best,Randy J. Smith<<>>

Guest fyrestrtr

The 250 below 10,000 is not a 'hard' limit, but its set by ATC for spacing aircraft properly (afaik).A lot of times, I've heard on radios 'speed at pilots discretion' and also I've heard them being cleared for higher speeds, so its absolutely normal.Also, as stated safety is the first priority :)

It is an FAA regulation, meaning it's the law, that aircraft operating below 10,000 MSL in the US are not to exceed 250kts indicated. This "hard" restriction may be lifted by, and only by, ATC. You can look it up in the FAR/AIM.

Dave Paige

Dave, you're technically correct. The 250 KIAS restriction also applies to Class B airspace. However, take a look at the KATL arrivals where I found a majority of the flights descending below 10000 well above 250. Since I don't fly the big iron, I can only infer from what I see and hear. Most of the ATC chatter I hear while flying that concerns speed is in fact speed restrictions for spacing. I don't recall ever hearing a controller asking for 250 for compliance. My guess is that the 250 KIAS thing is like the speed limit on the highway, as long as you're moving with the flow the smokie isn't going to tag you.

Dan Downs KCRP

Trust me guys, the "law" is not going to interfere with the safety of an aircraft that needs to fly faster than the limit to ensure it has enough lift to maneuver. This is one of the worst myths going in the FS/VATSIM world that you HAVE to fly 250 below 10k no matter what. Ask one of the many 744 pilots we have on our beta team - they always have a waiver from ATC for this when they're taking off with a heavy load.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Frequently when departing out of LAX for NZ we require speeds in the climb in excess of 250 kts when below 10,000ft. When a request is made to ATC for a 280 kt climb the response is usually "Resume normal speed". This implies a min clean maneuver speed climb to 10,000ft and then programmed speed. Once greater than 12 miles off shore the 250 below 10,000ft no longer applies.

Cheers

Steve Hall

Guest normanvdm

Guys,The 250/10.000' is there because of the birdhazard.RegardsNorman

As stated in the Type Rating Lesson 4:"If an online ATC controller tries to argue the 250 knot limit with you: Simply refer to 91.117 paragraph(d). If a minimum safe airspeed for any particular operation is greater than the maximum speed prescribed in this section, the aircraft may be operated at that minimum speed"

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

Guest dt1951

I request a certain speed when flying the 744 because of the flap speeds. I have never been denied that request once ATC is aware of the flap speed restrictions