Sign in to follow this  
Guest Peter Lloyd

Beware the edge of the world

Guest Peter Lloyd

Hi all.Have just finished my first global circumnavigation in the Queen.Routing was Dakar - Fortaleza - Santiago - Perth - Capetown - Dakar.Lightly loaded up with wealthy eco-tourists on the Santiago-Perth run, decided to try the polar route which passes pretty close to S90W180, so figured it would be fun to overfly the pole.(This was done on great circle GPS routes).Approaching this milestone address at about 40NM everything started to go wrong. The FMC reported 'IRS Split Function', a new one for me, and shortly thereafter we flew into an invisible wall. All sounds and seems to be running OK, except you don't go anywhere at all. This must be the edge of the world in FS9.(External view shows the mighty P&W's puttering out smoke like a WW1 piston engine.)Attempts to "slew" my way back out of it resulted in FS9 telling me that I had to have a location less than 89 deg. S. Once I did get out of it there was a complete pilot overload with every system going nuts, even mach 1.04 - Mr. Boeing would not have been impressed.Avoid routes which pass further south than S88.59'59"Does anyone have a real routing for Santiago - Perth?Thanks you guys at PMDG - the '74 is trully amazing.Peter

Guest nicam

LOL after all these years the earth is Really flat!if anyone disputes this, ask Mircosoft.Mircosoft said so!Michael

Yeah I found this problem ot long after FS2004 was released, I wanted to do an antractic scenic flight as they do in real life from Adelaide and I hit the invisible wall, was quite un-happy.I am glad Aces modeled the intire world for FSX now.Jay

Jay Vorkapic

pmdg_trijet.jpg