Sign in to follow this  
Guest alex_th2

FS9 ATC service and 'co-pilot'

Guest alex_th2

Hello,is there any way that a virtual co-pilot selects the com frequencies which are necessary duringflights and who confirms ATC commands? In FS9 it is alway necessary to respond to ATCotherwise 'radio service is termindated'. This is annoying during long haul flight because one wants to sleep also... :-)Thanks. Alex

Not with MSFS ATC I'm afraid.. if you get Radar Contact you can switch the comms over to the co-pilot though which is very handy for long haul..CheersCraig

Craig Read, EGLL

>How do you do that with RC4? >>FREDFred,I dont remember the key combonation to use, but it is listed in the kayboard assignments page which you can get to from the main RC4 page. When in flight just press the key and it hands over coms.Justin

Justin Paull

>This is annoying>during long haul flight because one wants to sleep also...I have never heard something more absurd. You want to fly- fly! You want to sleep? sleep, don't fly!

>>This is annoying>>during long haul flight because one wants to sleep also...>>I have never heard something more absurd. You want to fly->fly! You want to sleep? sleep, don't fly!I know what you're saying.. but I like others have a day job and it's impractical to sit there for the 11 hours it takes to say fly from EGLL to KLAX.. And I don't want to.. I have other things I want to do with my day.. and I know what you're gonna say.. "fly somewhere closer then" but.. you don't get the full appreciation for TANK/ENG etc.. doing that.. you miss out on a lot of the 747 sim complexity..If I do longhaul offline.. I usually setup the sim and get into the air.. once in cruise I'll just periodically check it.. and make a note of my TANK/ENG predicted times.. and S/C times.. and just pop up take control and do them.. Unless you do long haul you will miss things like S/C or TANK/ENG or other fuel management stuff.. Often will leave it running overnight and wake up to do the descent and landing..The combination for RC4 is CTRL + SHIF + K... as default I believe.. you'll hear something like "you have the comms" then the co-pilot will do that hand overs for you.. With default aircraft the co-pilot is able to control the plane too I believe..CheersCraig

Craig Read, EGLL

Guest alex_th2

>>This is annoying>>during long haul flight because one wants to sleep also...>>I have never heard something more absurd. You want to fly->fly! You want to sleep? sleep, don't fly!Its said to hear such a comment from a so-called 'VATSIM instructor'! There are some people here who are not going to school or to university but who follow a regular job. Besides simming there are also other things to do. Infact, in reality, as you know, a B747 is controlled by more than 2 pilots, to give the opportunity for resting and sleeping. So there are no 'absured' topics in this Forum. I might have to think twice to join VATSIM if people there are so unfriendly as you. ALex

Alex,Time honoured solution - when you're ready to do real life stuff, acknowledge the next ATC handoff, but do NOT contact the next station.When you're ready, contact ATC again - you'll get lots of instructions to turn around as ATC 'catches up' to your current position. Acknowledge when it finally instructs to resume own navigation. (Finally it'll bug you to descend if you had step climbed - just request your current flight level to shut them up :) ) These are the tricks of handling MS ATC - unrealistic? oh yes, - good thing this is a GAME.I'll leave the sitting at the pc 12hours to the purists :-lol Have fun.regards,Mark

Regards,

Mark

Frankly if you want to make statements like that you ought to remove the VATSIM reference from your signature, mate. I doubt VATSIM would like to hear one of their instructors making such inflammatory and unwarranted comments while representing them.Not many of us are prepared to sit for 12 hours in front of a screen. A think if you were to run a poll, the vast majority of folks would say that they establish in the cruise, then check in every hour or two for step climbs, fuel management etc. then rejoin shortly before the TOD.The longest flight I have continuously attended to was 8 hours westbound across the Atlantic. I was stuck home with a broken ankle at the time and bored out of my tree otherwise. I chased the sunset across the pond and it was one of those elusive sim flights that really *captures* the essence of the real thing. Was a fun way to pass the time!

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Guest gentrrm

Alex,Most of my flights are done without being in front of the computer. I love this hobby and I get my thrills from the flight planning, take offs and the descents and eventual landing. As much as I love doing this, especially for the above reasons, it can get pretty boring in between. I use MSFS ACT on 99% of my flights. As soon as I'm "passed off" shortly after takeoff, I acknowledge and tune, but never respond. When I'm ready I again contact ACT, such as when I

I can recommend Radar Contact. Very good program. Be prepared to tighten up on your flying skills though. The controllers will totally chew you out if you get sloppy on complying with your clearances, which is quite funny.Eg: If you cross 40 miles from the field even 300 feet higher than cleared you'll be vectored through 180 degrees (without explanation) to get your affairs in order. :-lol

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

To me flying is not only a hobby but also a liftime profession, and I take it seriously. Why buy and use such complex realistic simulation, if used in a way which violates basic flying rules? that is to me absurd, even if our hosts don't mind it. Reminds me of my two year old who got a powerful radio-controlled race car, and is often pushing the pedal to the metal although it is up against a wall. Don't worry about joining VATSIM if you fly longhaul but lack the required free time. VATSIM is online flying as real as it gets, our pilots man their cockpits while flying. In VATSIM there is a sort of sinkhole, a place on the globe where aircraft whose status is unclear to the system are depicted, off the shore of Ghana. Not where they planned to go, but were planted. >>I have never heard something more absurd. You want to fly->>fly! You want to sleep? sleep, don't fly!>>>Its said to hear such a comment from a so-called 'VATSIM>instructor'! There are some people here who are not going to>school or to university but who follow a regular job. Besides>simming there are also other things to do. Infact, in reality,>as you know, a B747 is controlled by more than 2 pilots, to>give the opportunity for resting and sleeping. >>So there are no 'absured' topics in this Forum. I might have>to think twice to join VATSIM if people there are so>unfriendly as you. >>ALex

I've just spent almost TWO MONTHS trying to read EVERY scrap of information on the VATSIM site. I now consider that time wasted - shame.I almost NEVER sit at the yoke for the cruise section when using big birds.I too thoroughly recommend Radar Contact. Don't like ifr flights without it now.