Sign in to follow this  
craig_read

Bad landing with Eng out

Well.. I thought I'd post my experiences with an engine fire.. I simulated an engine fire (partly to try out the emergency part of radar contact).. I got control.. brought the aircraft down gently in the descent.. Then it was pretty bad weather at my diverted air field.. raining.. windy.. OOOOO it's hard work!!!I managed to get down to a sensible level 3000 feet.. and was trying to get the FMC to accept my new airfield for landing.. I am not sure where you enter in the FMC your alternate air field.. I saw how you could change the destination in the PROG page, but on the ARR DEP page I couldn't see how I could change it... ??? Anyway no matter.. I was being vectored in by ATC anyway so it was no big deal.. I got the frequency for the ILS and the runway course and tapped that into the radios on the FMC and I got my GS and LOC.. Displayed my ILS on the NAV display and started the approach.Jeez.. this is hard work.. handling is awful.. probably due to the weather too.. I imagine in reality I wouldn't have bothered with this airfield and gone somewhere else where the weather was more favourable.. I think I was at a distinct disadvantage without the correct joystick with rudder control but I managed to put the bird down on the tarmac.. even though it was a bit risky at some points.. I wouldn't have attempted it if it were a real scenario..Any tips? I've decided I'm going to practice and perfect this type of operation. Anyone else got some advice or comments on this type of operation? I must admit it was quite a lot of fun! Taxiing with 3 running was a pain too.. when on the ground I decided to just use 2 engines to keep the balance right.. or she'd turn of her own accord..CheersCraig

Craig Read, EGLL

Well done to get back on Terra firma Craig!In situations like this use the autopilot and offload yourself. Remember that this is a 2 pilot aeroplane and you are attempting to fly it single pilot. There is a lot to consider. The other issue is to keep the rudder trimmed. Trim it out. Any time you change a power setting then you will need to adjust the trim. You will get a feel for how much and when to apply it. Make any speed or altitude adjustments slowly to reduce the out of trim condition as a consequence of the changing thrust. Rather than using FLCH (big thrust changes) try using VS and the green arc (which will give you a dynamic forecast of where you will be at the currently set MCP altitude). Fine tune VS to be at the altitude you want to be at the place you want to be (allow a little for deceleration)In the RW simulator I disconnect the A/T's when established on final approach. This stops the yawing and trim change associated with the A/T's hunting on final. When closing the thrust levers in the flair remember that the trimmed rudder will want to yaw the aircraft in the opposite direction (because the assymetric thrust condition is now removed) so be prepared to feed in some "opposite rudder" to keep straight.

Cheers

Steve Hall

Craig,If I understand you correctly then you're flying with a Joystick without rudder control and therefore using the "Autorudder" function of MSFS? If so remember that this setup is far from being realistic especially for one-engine out flying (and also flying in crosswind etc.). If you want a realistic handling in those situations you do need a set of rudder pedals. You'll then notice that things go much easier when training engine fires.Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

Thanks for the advice Steve.. I'm going to try to implement that in my next attempt.. I found handing very difficult indeed as my joystick doesn't have a rudder control.. it's auto rudder for me.. which makes life hard.. I want to purchase some new controls for the future.. a set of rudder pedals and perhaps a yoke.. but I might manage with just the pedals for now.. These things are quite expensive.. I was flying manually for the majority of the descent, all the vectoring and the landing.. Just wanted to see what it was like..Markus.. Yeah I found it VERY difficult to maintain control.. she was a handful to say the least.. I think I will get the new controls and have another go..Like I said earlier.. is there a way to change the FMC destination in mid flight? I couldn't call up ARR procedures for my diverted airfield on the FMC in the descent.. I couldn't get it to highlight the runway either.. I mean it was not a huge problem as I had the frequencies for the runway ILS.. but I would have thought there was a function somewhere that I could change the arrival airfield in the FMC and have a selection of the appropriate STAR.. what would happen if for example.. I was crossing the Atlantic.. and the airfield I was filed for closed? I would divert to the closest alternate but.. how would I programme the FMC for the arrival? Manually enter the STAR into the FMC and then manually enter the ILS frequency?CheersCraig

Craig Read, EGLL

Craig I have a very basic sidewinder joystick that has a twist function for rudder. Works Ok but is not as good a s pedals.If you want to change the destination so that you can get STARS and Approaches then just go to the RTE page and select the airfield ident into the Destination box. On the legs page just do a direct to or build a RTE up, using airways, from a point ahead of the aircraft etc. The FMC does have a turnback feature where if you are less than 400 miles from the origin (or over halfway for sectors less than 800 miles)then when you press the DEP/ARR key you will get the departure airfield STARS and approaches. This is to reduce the workload for a crew if they have an emergency and have to return. I dont think this feature is accurately modelled in PMDG which seems to always have the choice for choosing departure and arrival approach procedures.

Cheers

Steve Hall