Sign in to follow this  
Guest ettienneb

737 Questions: Four of them...

Guest ettienneb

Hi all, I have been flying the trusted 737-600 for a while, great product!Four questions:1) The HONK-HONK when proceeding with a second (or more) flight when starting to taxi has been driving me insane, I therefore restart from scratch after every leg. I have read in one of these forums that I need to ensure that my speed brakes are reset once I have landed. Will try that on the next flight, any other suggestions for this one?2) When at a shortish airfield, warm day, I need to know how to set the DERATE function of the FMC to give me full power for the take off role. I am sometimes running out of runway length. I will try to get more info from the manuals, but can someone please give me the quick overview? It seems that you can set the TEMP in the FMC Take Off page - but I am not yet sure how to do this.3) I sometimes loose my co-pilots read-outs of altitudes on the descent, especially after a couple of IFR circuits - many approaches and he stops reading out. Will MAYBE let me know when I am at around 200 ft. Any reason for this?4) The throttle on both my 737 and 747 jumps around like mad in throttle view - I guess this is a MS problem, any idea where I can set this not to happen?

Guest ettienneb

In terms of the first point above: I have now really tried to cancel that - it still honks profusely!

Try spooling up to less than 40% N1 while taxiing... that works for me.Derate will give you less power.. it's used when the temps out on the runway are expected to be higher than 30C. Below that, the engines are flat rated.If the Vref speeds are set, then I can't help with the lack of callouts on approach.The throttle views do not provide a smooth movement, the only time I use it is to set trim during preflight and shutdown. There's not much to watch.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest ettienneb

Thanks for the response! Unfortunately you need to have more power than that for the take-off roll, and that is where the noise should (in my opinion) not be there.Will keep on trying!Happy landings

"The HONK-HONK when proceeding with a second (or more) flight when starting to taxi ""you need to have more power than that for the take-off roll"Sorry, I'm confused. Were we talking taxi or takeoff? The horn at takeoff has never happened to me on sequential flights on the ground if I am configured for takeoff. However, on sequential flights the A/T will usually retard the throttles during initial climbout, which in turn causes warning signals. The problem isn't the horn but the A/T function on sequential flights.This issue has been kicked around several times in the forum in the past year, there's no fix other than work arounds. Some will reload the airplane, or restart the simulator. I've tried using manual throttle for takeoff then switching to LVL CHG with A/T after I've started the flap retraction schedule and that seems to work pretty good.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest ettienneb

Thanks Dan, I am referring to the take-off roll, so it seems to me that this is a known problem with this simulator and I will have to go with the go-arounds.

I'm wondering if the honking is the take off config warning. If you push to throttles too high with no flap set I think this occurs.What are the flaps set to when this occurs?As for derating, there's a program called UTOPIA (Universal Take Off Performance Information Application). Free from the AVSIM library (search for utopia - it will be the last one after some British Airways stuff).You give it the airport, weight, weather, and it will tell you what derate to use, and will also tell you if you're too heavy for the given conditions. Should reduce those overuns.It supports CS 707, LVD 767, PMDG 737-6/7/8/900, PSS 757 and PSS 777. A very good useful little program. Kudos go to Ian Webber for it's creation.

Guest dajackman

The throttle honking has been driving me crazy also. I am 99% sure everything is configured correctly. I'm using checklists and the first flight is always without the honking. Land somewhere, taxi to the gate, and get ready for the next flight. I am unable to get the honk to stop....(robby)

Guest tomahawk_pa38

i gave up sequential flights yonks ago - too many problems like the one you mention or sometimes, parts of the previous flight still showing in the nav display. restart after every flight - lot less aggro !!

Guest ettienneb

I wonder if our good friends at PMDG will be able to do something about this. . . This still is a GREAT aircraft. . .

Etienne?Questions 1 and 2 has been adequately answered by others.>3) I sometimes loose my co-pilots read-outs of altitudes on>the descent, especially after a couple of IFR circuits - many>approaches and he stops reading out. Will MAYBE let me know>when I am at around 200 ft. Any reason for this?As in the real deal you have to climb through a certain altitude to reset the GPWS callouts. >4) The throttle on both my 737 and 747 jumps around like mad>in throttle view - I guess this is a MS problem, any idea>where I can set this not to happen?This is as you suspect a MS problem. No workaround as far as I'm aware.Do not expect anything done to rectify these glitches. After all the NG is almost five years old now and I suspect it has gone off the production line after the updates that were issued during the first years.PS. You need to sign your posts with your real name as per the forum rules.Hope it helps,

Guest ettienneb

Dear Mats, many thanks for your posting, and for making me aware of the fact that I have to sign my posting with my real name.See you in the skies!Kind regardsEttienne BrunsdonAssistant WebMasterC1 Controller / Flight CaptainIVAO South Africa Division