Sign in to follow this  

Is ATC ever going to turn me?

Guest jabberthecat

I am in the middle of a IFR 747 flight from KRNO to KLAX. Right now I am level at 33000 heading 100 - not exactly near my flight plan or in general direction of KLAX. I am almost 130 miles ouf of KRNO now.Anyone experience this? Should be patient and wait for ATC?Thanks,Myles

Guest Joshieca

First of all what are you doing flying a 747 from Reno NV to LA Ca?Second what are you doing flying that short of a distance at that high of an altitude?Just wondering, but yes the ATC in FS2k2 does strange things sometimes...BUT if your going into KLAX, I know that the ATC likes to send you out over the ocean and bring you in from the west.[br][br][div align=center][br][link:members.cox.net/fstimes/wetimage.html]Weather Image of the Day!

Guest paulri

Are you sure you did not miss the call from ATC (normally Departure Control) to "resume own navigation"?? Are you SURE you have an IFR flight selected and loaded?? And why are you using FL330? At that altitude (FL290 and above), going WEST from KRNO (disregard any initial heading assignments by Departure Control), you should be cruising at FL310 or FL350 (4000 foot intervals, starting at FL310).Althought I never fly the 747 or any other heavy iron, I use ATC all the time, including the High Altitude structure in the US. Never ran into this one. Paul

>First of all what are you doing flying a 747 from Reno NV to >LA Ca? and why not ?this is a simulator .... remember ?As to his 33,000 it depends on his weight. If he is light he can get there very quickly.Michael J.

Hi,I had a similar problem flying from RNO to SEA, ending up way out over Nevada before I finally quit that flight. It appears that FS didn't like the fact I was using a VOR right near RNO as a waypoint (even though FS selected it). Prior to a subsequent flight, I deleted that waypoint and there was no problem.Take care,Kurt

I'm 99% sure you missed "resume own navigation"

Guest RonB49

Several points. 1. LA is east of Reno. Using the two most likely Jet Routes as examples, J5 departs Mustang VOR (117.90) at 158* and J7 departs the same VOR at 163* so FL330 is an appropriate eastbound altitude.2. When you create a FS2002 flightplan departing Reno, Mustang VOR (117.9) is usually the first waypoint and if you don't pass very near to it, ATC seems to get all confused and ultimately forget you. What I do (and it seems to be working for me) is insure that I fly right over that VOR regardless of the heading issued by Departure Control. On a recent flight, I departed 16L and was told to turn left to heading 035. I know from past experience, that would not have gotten anywhere near the VOR, so I turned to about 015, and when I drew near to Mustang VOR, Departure Control said "resume own navigation."3. Some places (departing KALN Rwy 29 on an eastbound flight, for example) ATC leaves me on the runway heading forever, or until I start a turn. If I start a 180* turn, they will come alive after I have turned about 30* and give me the correct easterly heading, just like it was their idea. This "trick does not seem to work at Reno, if you fly past Mustang then try to turn back to it, ATC says "turn heading 035" three times then cancels your flightplan. R-

Guest jabberthecat

I think I am falling under #3, as if I turn myself for "own navigation" ATC tells me to get back on heading 100.Yes I know my flight ( 747, FL33, KRNO - KLAX ) is totally bogus, butI haven't flown the jets in quite a while so I just threw togethera flight for fun using FNAV.Thanks,Myles

I had a near identical issue a couple of weeks back when flying from KLIT (Little Rock, AR) to KAUS (Austin, TX). I was in a King Air, so the aircraft type wasn't a bad selection. I was at FL220 which should have been about right, but the darn thing had me nearly to the Arkansas-Louisiana border before I said "Oh, to heck with it" (or something along that vein) and made the turn to my planned heading. ATC squawked at me a goodly amount and I just cancelled IFR and flew the rest of the flight VFR (and since ATC can say I'm second in line for landing behind the Cessna 172 which is six miles behind me, I'll mess with them and fly VFR at insane altitude).Just have to love it when Flight Sim does weird stuff like that.

"LA is east of Reno"is Reno an island? :-lol

Guest RonB49

KLAX N 33*56.6' W 118*24.5'KRNO N 39*29.9' W 119*49.0'Here's a good trivia question for you.Q. How many state capitals are west of Los Angeles?A. Six.Most people say five; CA, OR, WA, AK, HI. The correct answer is six because Carson City NV is directly south of Reno. R-

damn,didn't know LA is situated so much to the south