Sign in to follow this  
Guest mcalpinep

Problems with my first flight ?

Guest mcalpinep

Hello,I've just completed my first flight in the 747-400 from Heathrow to Glasgow Prestwick, it looked to all be going very smoothly until I was lined up on ILS to r/w 13. I had pushed MCP Loc well before my turn to final (345 deg from TRN) but the aircraft did not line up correctly , I was a good few deg off and looked to be heading at a diagonal across the r/w until about 20 feet from touch down - at this point the aircraft then aligned correctly, a little un-nerving to say the least (anybody seen that true life video where a 747 touches down on 1 set of gear !!) - I'd appreciate any advice, I am using AIRAC 0613 and the latest STAR's from navdata.at site.Thanks in advance.

What were your winds? A few degrees off seems okay, a strong crosswind is always interesting, if that's that case.A good landing is one that you can walk away from - author unknown.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest mcalpinep

Dan,Sorry, didn't notice the winds ( I know, very poor piloting) however I had set FS weather to clear - I have just completed a second flight from Glasgow International to Paris CDG and exactly the same thing happened - on a diagonal across the runway until about 20ft from touchdown when the 747 starts to re-align.As you say, I still walked away but I think my passengers are choosing a different airline.I have heard of other users experiencing problems after an AIRAC update when their course if off by a few degress though this only happens to me on approach to landing - the course tracked during the flight is fine otherwise.Cheers.

Guest Sean Reeder

If your heading is a few degrees off but you are still landing on the runway, it sounds like the aircraft is in a crab. This would be due to a crosswind.

Guest mcalpinep

Thanks guys, I'll pay more attention to winds on my next flight.