Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dostoyevsky77

PMDG 747-400 Crashes to Blue Screen: "Page Fault in Non...

Guest Dostoyevsky77

My computer crashes to the blue screen "Page Fault in Nonpaged Area" when I'm in the PMDG 744 cockpit. It doesn't happen under any other FS useage (to include Level-D). The frequency of the crash is anywhere between immidiate to 10 minutes after the panel loads.Very pertinent is that after PMDG 744 install, my secondary display stops working when PMDG 744 initiates its files during FS startup. However, if I reduce my resolution from 1920x1200 to 1280x1024, my secondary display works again. (It also comes back up when I exit FS).I wonder the following:1) Does PMDG support multi-displays?2) Does the 744 panel support 1920x1200?This is a new system (I bought it especially for flightsimming), and I worry that it's not been long enough for more mature drivers to be released:Intel QX6700 (OCed to 3.45)eVGA 8800GTX (display 1: 1920x1200, display 2: 1280x1024)Raid-0ed Raptors 2 GB Corsair 6400 DDR2800XP Pro w/ SP2 and updatesI understand this problem sounds very hardware-ish, but if anyone has ideas why this is only happening on the PMDG side of FS, it would be appreciated. My only thought is to plunk down $300 on new RAM (& I don't even know if that would help), so I hope someone out there has a better idea!

Does FS support that resolution?What does the error message identify as culprit after restart?You did not mention display and graphic adapter card and driver info.

Guest Dostoyevsky77

The logged error message is the "Page fault in unpaged area".FS DOES support 1920x1200. I didn't have a problem until I installed PMDG, leading me to believe that maybe the panel isn't stable at that resolution.I have an eVGA 8800GTX with driver version 6.14.10.9792 with date 12/21/2006.Thanks for helping me!

>My computer crashes to the blue screen "Page Fault in>Nonpaged Area" when I'm in the PMDG 744 cockpit. It doesn't>happen under any other FS useage (to include Level-D). The>frequency of the crash is anywhere between immidiate to 10>minutes after the panel loads.>>Very pertinent is that after PMDG 744 install, my secondary>display stops working when PMDG 744 initiates its files during>FS startup. However, if I reduce my resolution from 1920x1200>to 1280x1024, my secondary display works again. (It also>comes back up when I exit FS).>I wonder the following:You can download diagnostic software to test your RAM before you replace it.What other add-ons are you running (weather, airports, etc...). Does it happen at every airport?Are you running any other utilities such as a virus scanner?- John

Guest Dostoyevsky77

>You can download diagnostic software to test your RAM before>you replace it.>>What other add-ons are you running (weather, airports,>etc...). Does it happen at every airport?>>Are you running any other utilities such as a virus scanner?>>- JohnI'm going to run Memtest86 overnight tonight. I really don't want to shell out the dosh for another 2MB! I'll post the informations here tomorrow morning (I'm taking the day off to troubleshoot!).The crash will happen at any airport. Today, I completely reinstalled FS & the update, then ONLY installed PMDG. Interestingly, my dual display worked fine (so that wasn't PMDG's fault), but unfortunately, I got the Blue Screen Of Death after about 15 minutes. I do not run a virus scan (I do an on-demand every morning, but I don't have any services running ever). In fact, I keep an extremely streamlined system... the only thing I have running are drivers. I hardly have any other software installed. It's just FS, one game, Office, Firefox & Thunderbird.Thanks for taking the time to help me. I've attached a DXDIAG for kicks & giggles.

That blue screen error usually has to do with drivers man, I've seen it on a few occasions. Make absolutely certain all your drivers are up to date and that your system is clean of any kind of spyware, rootkits etc...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest Dostoyevsky77

Eureka!The memory diagnostics I ran last night revealed a fault in physical memory. I changed my POST settings to disable fast boot; lo & behold, even the BIOS recognizes the bad memory!Whether or not this is the cause of the problem remains to be seen, but it seems a very strong candidate.Unfortunately, it means shelling out MORE dosh. I have already ordered the replacement RAM (I've decided to upgrade to some Corsair Dominators), which should be in by next week. I'll make sure to let you all know if this helped.Thanks for all your help (even with an obviously hardware-related issue).

The PMDG birds use MUCH more RAM than you're typical FS9 or add-on plane.If you have ANY kind of problem with your RAM, all bets are off - you MUST get that replaced (if this is a new rig, isn't it under warranty)?Also: I see that you're overclocking the CPU. This can also lead to instability, and - over time - increased wear on all of your Mobo components. I would suggest to use the factory default clock setting.- Bill

- William Ruppel, CYTZ, VATSIM 816871

Actually, he ran a memory diag test and came up with problems.So... he needs to replace his RAM.No doubt about it!! :)- Bill

- William Ruppel, CYTZ, VATSIM 816871

hi alli can guarantee you its an issue with your video card and driversi have an geforce 8800 gtx and when i first got it it ran greati flew lds pmdg and psssomething happened along the way and went i went to fly the pss 757 in vc i got the dreaded blue screenpss was very helpfulit took me about 2 wks to find a driver that would not crashmy lds, pmdg a/c flew flawlesslyive been running about 2 wks now and my comp doesn't even hiccuplet me know if you need more infonberardi1@cox.netnick berardiaa-ret

NICK BERARDI

AA-RET

Guest SKireyev

>hi all>i can guarantee you its an issue with your video card and>drivers>i have an geforce 8800 gtx and when i first got it it ran>great>i flew lds pmdg and pss>something happened along the way and went i went to fly the>pss 757 in vc i got the dreaded blue screen>pss was very helpful>it took me about 2 wks to find a driver that would not crash>my lds, pmdg a/c flew flawlessly>ive been running about 2 wks now and my comp doesn't even>hiccup>let me know if you need more info>nberardi1@cox.net>>>nick berardi>aa-retSame here! I had a blue screen of death come up at random intervals between 10 and 40 minutes following a 7800GT driver update. Rolled back the drivers and the problem went away. Did you update your drivers by any chance?

Guest Dostoyevsky77

It's true that I haven't tried rolling back my video card drivers. I'll give that a shot! I'm kind of new to forums & accidentally posted something earlier in this thread about how my computer failed a memory test. I've ordered some new RAM (ETA: Jan24) & hopefully that will solve things.Last night, I was on Level-D's 767 & received the BSOD for the first time outside of PMDG, so I am utterly humiliated for having thought that the problem was isolated to the PMDG panel. All the same, I am absolutely unwilling to see if I get the error on FS's default panels (*shiver*).So, I'll wait until I get my new simms before rolling back my video driver. Thanks everyone for your awesome ideas!

Guest Dostoyevsky77

I am VERY happy to report that a new installation of RAM has cured me of the BSOD described above. However...I reinstalled FS9 & all scenery/add-ons, including PMDG. Two things I noticed since the reinstall (I know work-arounds, but it was working fine before reinstall):1) The .wav that controls the electronics fan speed is far too loud.2) Sometimes when I load up (even a cold & dark) cockpit, the stickshakker goes off constantly.Any ideas?BTW/FYI- I bought some Corsair Dominator 8500s to replace my old RAM. For FS (in general, not specific to PMDG), I received crash to desktop within 2-60 seconds until I changed the BIOS RAM SLI setting to "disabled". All my other applications were running fine, except FS. Bummer/odd...QX6700 OCed to 3.46ASUS P5N32-E SLI 2048 8500C5DeVGA 8800GTXCouple'a Raptor X'es RAID-0edTagan TG1100Coolermaster Aquagate Mini R80