Sign in to follow this  
Guest captainmk

Some problems with the PMDG 747

Guest captainmk

I have a few annoying problems that occur all the time, they are as follows, any strategies or fixes to get rid of them would be greatly appreciated.1. I wanted to do a small direct flight to a neighboring country, I can enter the ICAO codes into the ORGN and the DEST field but when I try to set the "TO" in the route page to something like OMDB, it says route discontinued at the top and there isn't a direct path leading to the OMDB airport in the main LCD display? Why is this? I can do this fine in the PMDG 737 but why not this 747?2. In cruise, when I set a specific speed for cruise, why does the autopilot mess up and constantly idle the throttle and then power it up and then idle and then power it up etc? This gets really annoying and causes the plane to keep ascending and descending all the time. This also sometimes unchecks the maintain speed button in the MCP.

>I have a few annoying problems that occur all the time, they>are as follows, any strategies or fixes to get rid of them>would be greatly appreciated.>>1. I wanted to do a small direct flight to a neighboring>country, I can enter the ICAO codes into the ORGN and the DEST>field but when I try to set the "TO" in the route page to>something like OMDB, it says route discontinued at the top and>there isn't a direct path leading to the OMDB airport in the>main LCD display? Why is this? I can do this fine in the PMDG>737 but why not this 747?>>2. In cruise, when I set a specific speed for cruise, why does>the autopilot mess up and constantly idle the throttle and>then power it up and then idle and then power it up etc? This>gets really annoying and causes the plane to keep ascending>and descending all the time. This also sometimes unchecks the>maintain speed button in the MCP. Item #2 is probably caused by wind. As the wind speed and direction changes, your A/T is trying to maintain CRZ speed.- John

Are you trying to set OMDB (Dubai) as Destination and TO waypoint at the same time ?Humm...I think that is not possible. Choose some intermediate waypoint/s to build the route.Jose Luis.

Guest captainmk

Yeah that is what I am trying to do. Shall I get a professional route first, and just use the first and last waypoint and enter it into the FMC? And will it work?johndrago, It can't be the wind because I have set the weather to have no wind. The plane always fails to keep the throttle at a steady state to keep the speed at a steady state so the plane always has to adjust all the time, and this is annoying because I have to use the time compression and it happens even more.How do I get it to just maintain a speed and altitude properly? I am not using the FMC in this example by the way.

Entering an ICAO onto the Legs page on a Honeywell 744 FMC automatically generates a discontinuity. Have you tried line selecting the ICAO to the scratchpad and back up again? (Not sure how this works on the real aircraft when you only have one entry).The 737NG is different because it has a Smiths' FMC.Hope this helps.Cheers.Q>

>Yeah that is what I am trying to do. Shall I get a>professional route first, and just use the first and last>waypoint and enter it into the FMC? And will it work?>That is what I try to explain: in a route you have an ORIGIN, a DESTINATION and WAYPOINTS in the middle. Your DESTINATION airport IS NOT a waypoint TO be entered in the ROUTE page #2.If you want to build a very simple route you can try this:Imagine you want to go from airport XXXX to airport YYYY. XXXX rwy heading is 270

My personal method for doing these kinds of direct airport to airport flights is to just select the departing and landing runways on the DEP/ARR page and then close the discontinuity on the LEGS page, you'll end up with a direct line from the two runways...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest captainmk

Thank you very much for your help :D Greatly appreciate it :D

Guest captainmk

Does anyone have a solution for my speed maintain problem?"johndrago, It can't be the wind because I have set the weather to have no wind. The plane always fails to keep the throttle at a steady state to keep the speed at a steady state so the plane always has to adjust all the time, and this is annoying because I have to use the time compression and it happens even more.How do I get it to just maintain a speed and altitude properly? I am not using the FMC in this example by the way."