Sign in to follow this  
Captain Caveman

what 747 engine do you prefer?

Hello fellow captains!im just wondering what 744 engine you perfer to fly...and why!PW 4062GE CF6-80C2B5FRR RB211-524HI really dont care to much myself...i fly what my prefered airlines use...but i like GE and RR better that PW atleast...dont really know why though :(

I like to use the Qantas livery mostly which is the RR RB211, plus I like the look of the RB211 the best. :DJay.

I don't like how the "Rollers" look.They don't seem turbofans, they have an old turbojet aspect. I always fly the 744 with the GEs under the wings.Jose Luis

>I don't like how the "Rollers" look.>>They don't seem turbofans, they have an old turbojet aspect. >>I always fly the 744 with the GEs under the wings.>Jose LuisI can not agree more with you. I've never liked how the RR look in the 747. They seem too small and simple to me. For me the best ones are the GE but the PW are also fine. I'm talking in terms of "how they look" because I don't know and I don't think I would be able to tell the difference in perfomaces between the three.Regards.

>>I don't like how the "Rollers" look.>>>>They don't seem turbofans, they have an old turbojet aspect.>>>>>I always fly the 744 with the GEs under the wings.>>Jose Luis>>I can not agree more with you. I've never liked how the RR>look in the 747. They seem too small and simple to me. For me>the best ones are the GE but the PW are also fine. I'm talking>in terms of "how they look" because I don't know and I don't>think I would be able to tell the difference in perfomaces>between the three.>>Regards. I couldn't agree more with both of you. The Rollers seem to be the quietest from the cabin when flying in the real world, but they really don't look as if they fit with the 74'. They seem to be out of proportion. Performance-wise, they all have their strengths.Most of the time, I fly with the GEs. That's mostly because I'm normally flying KLM and Lufthansa, but when I do my flying in United, it's obviously PW. The only Rollers I use are on my Cargolux.Kyle

Kyle Rodgers

RB211s. Three stages of compression, tons of power and a really great sound :-) What's not to like.... That and I fly for BAV so I spend a lot of time with the RB211 744 :-)Scott

Kendall S Mann

Still Telling Pilots Where To Go!!

>RB211s. Three stages of compression, tons of power and a>really great sound :-) What's not to like.... That and I fly>for BAV so I spend a lot of time with the RB211 744 :-)I have the sound pack for the RB211 from avsim and it really adds a lot. Aside from the fact that I also fly a BAW 744, I love the uniqueness of the engine design and that whiste from the engines. Not only that, I think it gets better mileage in the real world too. Ryan GamurotLucky to live Hawai'ihttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/supporter.jpg

I like this question!1. GE - Mainly because I prefer to work in N1 instead of EPR but also because I love the sound.2. PW - The most powerful engine set (not by much mind you)3. RR - I don't mind the engine set here but I agree that it doesn't look as good on the wing.On a side note, I read somewhere that the RB211 is also fitted to the RR equipped 767, albeit 2 of them instead of 4. Is this true? Qavion? :-)

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Guest btclarke
"On a side note, I read somewhere that the RB211 is also fittedto the RR equipped 767, albeit 2 of them instead of 4. Is thistrue? Qavion? :-)
"Yes it's true. The RB211 is also fitted to 757's and Tupolev 204's...Bryan

Interesting question!For me it's the RRs by a long mile - they have a very distinctive sound, especially at low thrust settings. I think they look great on the wing... In FS always fly for Qantas/BA, so only every now and again when I fly a GE QF744 do I get GE.

Guest Andalouse

i like engine number 4.....:-)

Was a variant of the RB211 fitting on the A330 as well? Or am I just going totally nuts?Craig

Craig Read, EGLL

I hate all 744 engines...They fill my lungs with kerosene fumes during pushbacks, and drip oil and fuel on me. They burn me when I remove hot oil caps. The lockwiring cuts my fingers to shreds. They give me claustrophobia when I climb inside them. They strain my back when I have to lift the cowls... and my fingers are sometimes crushed when I position the cowl stays. They make me stay out in the freezing cold in the early hours of the morning and make me sweat when I have to work on them (and inside them) on 38deg C summer days.... before they have cooled down.Engines... things of beauty?.... bah, humbug! :(Q>

I don't mind any of the three engine variants on the 744/744F as far as flying with them, but I think the Rolls is just a beautiful engine and looks awesome on the wings. They're all nice engines and as long as they do their job, I love them!Tim