Sign in to follow this  
rgamurot

FS2Crew for PMDG 747

OK I'm biased as I beta tested it, but yeah, it's pretty awesome. Bear in mind that it will change the way you fly somewhat. If you really enjoy having to do everything for yourself it might not be for you, however if you want to fly it exactly how the real-world captains do, this is as close as you can get.Highly recommended.

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Hey Mark,Thanks for the info. I posted some questions I had specifically regarding FS2Crew in that forum but it seems more people hang out here.http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...sg_id=998&page=If you or anyone else wants to take a look, here's the topic. Ryan GamurotLucky to live Hawai'ihttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/supporter.jpg

Well.. I have flown with it.. and without it.. and personally.. I don't think I'd reinvest in FS2Crew in the future.. it's not for me.. I've bought.. installed and used it.. but now rarely if ever bother with it.. bit of a waste for me.. But I can see the realism that it offers people.. the problem is every flight just becomes a re-run for me.. and with the same dialogue.. it gets a bit samey..I can see it's appeal.. but it's just not my thing...Craig

Craig Read, EGLL

I enjoy it, I like actually calling for flaps, gear, seatbelt sign (bad WX) etcI agree alittle with the "bit samey" comment but random things still happen which liven things up. For example last night I did a short flight from NZAA-NZCH and I had was being updated of a intoxicated passenger that was causing trouble (first time I have seen that). Now if I fly without FS2crew it feels alittle empty in the cockpit.Jay

As the developer of the software in question I'd to point out that the "samey" thing is quite deliberate, and indeed more realistic :-)FS2Crew models airline SOPs, and a big part of that means that, like in real life, you basically follow a pre-defined script, like actors in a highly choreographed role-play who perform the same show day in and day out.'Interpretive Dance' it isn't :-)Cheers,Bryan

Despite the fact that it gets "bit samey", I do find it very difficult to fly the aircraft all by me onezy and memorize the checklists. I also don't like reading them while taxiing; I never seem to stay on the taxiway or at a constant speed. That and I've never had a drunken passenger before. Finally something to deal with on those long-hual flights.Ryan GamurotLucky to live Hawai'ihttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/supporter.jpg

If that's your feeling on the subject then I don't think you'll regret buying it! I acknowledge it's not for everyone but personally, as a self-described hardcore simmer this is hard to live without! Excellent support if you get stuck too. :-)

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

I guess what I mean by samey.. is that I don't mind the fact that the SOPs are repeated.. but the dialogue is pretty much identical each time.. I like the checklist reading out functionality.. I like the additional flap call outs.. and ground crew communications.. But I still feel something is missing from it and it could do more..Take the pushback for example.. why don't the ground crew do more here? I'd like it to be fairly random.. "you can start 1 and 2".. "cleared to start 4"... "start all four at your own discretion"... "you're cleared to pressurise your hydraulics".. "All cargo doors closed and confirmed latch closed".. and that's just the ground crew.. for a few moments.. every single time it's the exact same procedure.. and in reality it isn't..I think the realism really disappears with the lack of the SID explaination and STAR explainations.. which are a major part of any SOP.. I mean I apprecaite every single STAR or SID can't be modelled and voiced.. that would be very silly and totally impractical.. but for those that aren't.. why not interface with the FMC SIDs.. STARs.. and then do a "Radar Contact" on them... and state all waypoints with the phonetic alphabet... "departure from Echo Golf Lima Lima.. will be the Whiskey Oscar Bravo Uniform November Two Foxtrot.. Leaving runway 27R fly runway heading and intercept the 3 0 1 radial from Bravo Uniform Romeo at Lima Oscar November 4 DME.... Fly the 301 radial and pass over Bravo Uniform Romeo at 3000 feet or above, then turn right onto the Mike India Delta radial 359 towards Whiskey Oscar Bravo Uniform November.. at 10 DME Lima Oscar November be at or above 4000 feet, at 16 DME Lima Oscar November be at 6000 feet."... then you could tap on some speil like.. "we'll expect further altitude clearances.." and perhaps something about the speed, which I think is already there.. I mean even if you programmed it yourself! It would be much cooler..Don't get me wrong.. it's a neat little tool.. but it's too expensive at $25 for what it is in my view.. I think it could have been SO MUCH better.. I mean I bought it.. and it's not even installed anymore.. I just don't want it... When you can get something like Radar Contact.. for an extra $19 which in opinion enhances the experience much more.. Although I still have (perhaps unrealistic) expectations here that are not met.. The only product I've really bought and not been at some point dissappointed in.. has been the PMDG 747-400PAX and F versions.. Although I am warming to Radar Contact.. I think it really should have a proper SID and STAR capability.. I guess my test of an addon is.. am I still using it after a month? FS2Crew.. no... Radar Contact.. yes.. never fly without it.. PMDG 744.. it's the only aircraft I ever fly on MSFS.. Activesky.. every flight.. FSBuild (a pain to use but plan every flight with it).. If you don't have any of those others.. I would recommend them..It's just my opinion folks.. CheersCraig

Craig Read, EGLL

Agree with all you write Craig, had it too, never used it much after the initial couple of flights. For less money, my Flight Deck Companion is a lot more flexible although, in fairness, it does not offer some of the features of FS2Crew such as interactions with ground crew and in flight abnormal situations, but - personally - I can live without. So if you really want a copilot that you can have on "your side" with most FS airliners with your own taylor-made checklists, I'd go for FDC anytime Ryan. Happy landings.

Guest blevenzon

I agree to some degree with everything that has been said respectfuly, but Im writing as fairly a newbee to all of this, And as a newbee I think FS2Crew is a must have, gives me a preety awsome experience, as a developer I aknowledge all the effort that went into FS2crew not to mention PMDG Sims, But me personaly I feel sort of naked flying without fs2crew.

Guest afluhart

I think you guys have to realize that one product can't possibly encompass everything! I know what you're talking about Craig but you have to take a step back and realize what you are actually saying. If there were three to five different responses for everything can you imagine how large the install file would be? To have an extensive sid/star database would require massive amount of space (the average sid for the 744 is around 1.5MB). As with any product there are limitations... not because it can't be done but because of practicality. The optional voice set that was made for the 767 product by a fs2crew fan was over 600MB's!

I actually considered the possibility of doing what one poster mentioned above with respect to devising a way to read AIRAC data to create SID/STAR/IAP briefs.It's the kind of thing that sounds great at first glance, but when you start looking at it from a practical, technical point it just doesn't work.A big issue of course is that data source is not really conducive to this end. But the even bigger issue is that it would sound very robotic, unnatural and generally not good. This is because the voices would have to be spliced.I'd rather have a few briefs that sound very professional (they're recorded by a real-world 747 Captain) rather than a bunch of briefs that no one would use because they sound so choppy and robotic.The other issue thing to remember is context: FS2Crew is a computer simulation, and I have to work within a framework defined not only by the host aircraft, but also by FS9 and FSX itself.If you want absolute, 100 percent realism you'll never get that in a computer simulation, especially one that tries to model something as infinitely complex as human beings.Frankly, if you want absolute realism, the only way is to go out and try to get a job on a 747... (Air Atlanta is hiring FO's... they want $30K upfront for a Bond if you're interested).Cheers,Bryan

I totally appreciate what you're saying.. and can understand the difficulties.. and I understand you've not got the resources that a massive company like microsoft does.. As I understand it.. they generate voice using a mix of different sounds which they then use in different configurations to make words.. reducing the size of the voice pack.. Doing something like that for FS2Crew would make it AWSOME.. but I know that is a lot to ask..One thing I would like though.. a patch that gets rid of the name mentioning.. even though I'm Craig.. the FO keeps calling be John! lol.. (I know I am picking now)..I would pay SERIOUS money though if someone could develop something that could do those things.. a proper ATC system that was realistic.. and had good AI and a random element to it.. and good GOOD money.. for a good AI co-pilot voice with the voice technology allowing for all SIDS and STARS to be spoken.. (of course this would be MEGA expensive) for the PMDG..I don't mean to put the software down.. it's just my opinion.. I might give it another try after this :)CheersCraig

Craig Read, EGLL

Craig,All of that may happen in the future.The missing component right now is a text-to-voice generator that sounds 100 percent human.The technology is getting close, but it's still a few years away. Even the best stuff I've heard still sounds noticeably non-human.Once that technology is in place, however, you'll see the next big leap in co-pilot and ATC simulations (and of course FS2Crew will be at the forefront of this :-) )Edit: If you the 'sameness' is an issue for you, try letting the FO do the takeoff or try doing a Monitored approach. Had a bird strike yet?-Bryan