Sign in to follow this  
Tabs

Early Vista upgrade adopters - upgrade won't full install

I just wanted to warn any of our customers who might be getting Vista today or tomorrow - MS has changed the way upgrade versions work and you are no longer allowed to perform a clean install from an upgrade key. You now need to have XP installed and activated and then run an upgrade install of Vista. Most power users know that upgrade installs are asking for all kinds of trouble, so this basically leaves us with having to purchase the full version to be able to clean install. I'm not happy about this, but MS seems to have confirmed it here and it's being posted about on tech forums by people who bought upgrade versions today and then found out by experiencehttp://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/930985/en-usJust want everyone to be aware of this limitation if you're considering the upgrade version.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Thanks for the info Ryan. Could be a big problem if one has a catastrophic failure and one needs to rebuild the machine. :-(Oh yea... thats not going to happen anymore with Vista. :-)

Yeah those are my concerns as well - I reformat quite frequently. I don't want this thread to turn into an MS bash though guys - just trying to inform people so they don't end up buying the wrong version for their needs now...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest LAND3

Well if you have a DVD burner (who still doesn't)?? and a few blank DVD's to spare, you could always upgrade your computer and install the programs you need and when everything is set just perfect how you want it to be, then use Acronis TrueImage to make an exact image of your harddrive.... So next time your PC crashes or hard drive reformats just pop in a DVD(s) and its MUCH faster than installing from scratch...If you are buying the ULTIMATE edition of Vista they come with CompletePC a free integrated utility from M$FT that lets you backup your entire harddrive image (much like the commercial Acronis, etc) (except Acronis is truly bootable, wereas if you reformatted your hard disk then CompletePC WILL NOT SAVE YOU...) (I know because I tried..)Anyway, just my personal opinion, Vista really isn't worth it at this point. Until hardware gets to where it needs to be, until at LEAST a service pack 1 comes out for Vista, I'd say running Vista and Flight Sim X without patches for neither are a invitation to frustration and disaster like Katrina just wanting to happen with M$FT tech support slower than FEMA..Edit: plus M$FT made a bunch of underhanded moves in Vista that could be considered as borderline unethical and definitely monopolistic...I'll let yall find out for yourself what I'm talking about...

I think that is so annoying.. it's just another hit really that we all take.. I hate upgrade installs.. they new go smoothly.. you always end up with a load of junk on your drive you don't want.. it's clean install for me.. or no install..If the prices of the full versions are much more.. I think microsoft might shoot themselves in the foot.. I could well see piracy of their operating system on the rise.. I think the only version having is the ultimate version anyway.. I personally.. will only get it when I buy a new machine.. and then get a copy OEM with the hardware I purchase (that's if I can..).. hopefully save some money that way..Craig

Craig Read, EGLL

More info now:Apparently the Vista Ultimate Upgrade does not have this limitation. Most however probably aren't going to need all the extra stuff that's in that (drive encryption, domain controllers, etc) so it's probably still an issue for people like gamers and power users who like to install their OS correctly.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

Guest btclarke

It also seems that Vista Business doesn't require an XP install either...

Get the home premium it is still cheaper than the Ultimate Upgrade and has everything you need. Then Either creat a partition with something like PQ magic or in my case, use a second empty HD, they are so cheap now anyway and boot to the Vista DVD. Install to the secondary partition and you will get a dual boot with your old XP install untouched and a new shiny Vista install side by side. Best part is you can copy files from one partition to the other so you can gradually migrate things over, see what works and what doesn't and always have XP to fall back on...It is working like a charm for me :)-PaulPS, use VistaBoot Pro because there is no more boot.ini to edit ;) and shut off the User Account controls to disable all the prompts from Vista. http://www.pro-networks.org/forum/about835...8a37adae2914f04Enjoy!

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

The OEM versions are crippled in the sense that you aren't allowed to install it on more than one unique set of hardware over the time you own it, it's tied to the first machine you install to - the others can...Rumor is that the clean install method listed at that link is gonna be deactivated by MS...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg