Sign in to follow this  
kpop1364

Engine and ATC Sound....Question?

Does anyone know if the engine and ATC sounds can be separated? I would like to hear the engine sound out of the main speakers and the ATC out of headphones. I'm guesing this can't be done, but I'm not sure.Thanks,Gerry

I have thought about this for a LONG time and would also like to do it. I don't know if dual sound cards would work somehow. I don't think so...Maybe if I had two computers networked together both running FS and on one turned down all the volume settings except ATC and then plugged the headsets into that sound card. I still don't know if it is possible. Anyone.....?Ken

Guest lmoelleb

I just had a wild thought: The ATC voicepack files contains sounds used for the various plane types (jet, helicopter, turboprop etc). Until now I simly assumed these sounds were used as background noice over the "radio" - just like you hear people talking in the background when the controler speaks.However now I start to wonder - meybe these sounds are also (maybe even only) used for the airplane itself?You can try getting a decompiler for the voicepack and try changing one of them./Lars

Hmm.. How about re-recording the wavs for four channel use by having the aircraft sounds at the rear channels (your pc speakers) and using the front channel for your headphones?

This is all WAY above my skill and knowledge level. Maybe someone will come up with an aftermarket program that will do this or MS will add it to FS2004 as some type of option.Ken

I wonder if there is a setting in the FS .cfg file?When I run the sound from the rear speakers, I can only get the engine sound. The front speakers give me engine and ATC.Gerry

You could certainly accomplish this by using two networked computers and WidevieW. Just turn off ATC sound on your primary computer and all sound except ATC on the other. However I believe there is a simpler way to do this using one computer. I'll start looking into this tomorrow as I am interested in doing it. You may need USB headphones.David

Guest groundpounder75

Try searching more on the internet for software that is written to do that. I remember once reading on a home built cockpit web site that the guy building it wanted to seperate the sounds out from FS, ie.. he wanted the APU sound to come from behind him out of different speakers and what not. He did do it but I don't remember how he did it. I don't know if it was a .dll or what? But, I am sure you can find someone to do it through software which is way cheaper then buying a second system.

Thanks Art, will do some checking around. Please let me know if you come up with anything. I'll post any findings I get.Gerry

All that I've come up with is the obvious. If you are using online ATC like VATSIM via RogerWilco, you can run RW through a second cheapo sound card or a second computer. Using a second computer is the better solution because it won't draw on any resources of your primary computer and will allow to run RW at it's best sound settings. It also means you won't have to sort out possible conflicts of installing a second sound cardDavid

Guest groundpounder75

Gerry,I have been out of town for the past few days. Let me go back and check my links to the home built cockpit sites and I will check and see what I can find. I have a feeling it was done with the guys that made the DHL 757 cockpit in Cincinatti Ohio, but I am not certain. Check out the Project Magenta site for a link to this site. You might get lucky here. I personally don't think if it is done with software it would be resource intensive. You might get away with a little VB app. that would handle this. Let me know how you make out.

There's my problem. I've got 2 soundcards but never use my newest (cheepest). Because it gives meny meny conflicts. Ok, I mange to get it programed correctly in windows. Then it works fine. But for some reason, when I start FS, things go wrong. FS is maybe the only sound-using-application that causes problems.Got any ID ? Could it be that it's due to the fact that I use a SoundBlaster 16 orriginal and a second SoundBlaster 16 clone from Terratec. Or shouldn't this give a problem.The drivers it uses are not the same cuz when I install them i don't get any "file already exists" messages.

Hi Art,I have been looking through many websites and have not found anything about this type of sound setup. But there is alot of material and sites to cover so I keep looking. I'll let you know if I find anything.Thanks again,Gerry

It's easily done with a USB headphone set. See my post on a similar thread above.Doug