Sign in to follow this  
craig_read

Widescreen TFT for PMDG? Anyone recommend one?

Ok.. I know.. that this is probably the wrong forum to post in.. but I do want this to work well with the PMDG 747 in FS9.. :) I've decided to put off my upgrade of my system till much later in the year.. But I do need a new monitor regardless.. and I was thinking that a 20" or 22" widescreen would do the trick.. I don't mind spending a reasonable amount of money on it.. BUT.. I don't want to go too crazy.. like

Craig Read, EGLL

Hi Craig,I'm no expert in this but I will give it a bash. Response time and true colour representation are the things you are looking for in a flat screen. A slow response time will cause fast moving objects to appear blurred. When it comes to colour, I have two TFT screens side by side and there is a remarkable difference in the picture, the new screen is bright and colourful, the second older one is darker and not nearly as crisp. The more expensive monitors will have better picture quality.Another thing to remember is your graphics card, you could have a 17" TFT running well on a mid level graphics card, use the same card with a 20" widescreen or bigger and you are going to run into problems in running the TFT at its native resolution. The bigger screens will require a rather powerful graphics card.I am currently running a 19" widescreen as well as a 15" TFT with a NVIDIA 7900GTX. Flight sim is run in a window on the 19" at native resolution and all other programs (Active Sky, FS Commander, and Radar Contact) are available to be scrutinised on the 15". This may not be the best solution, but it works for me.I know this has not answered your question, but I have hopefully achieved my aim of getting you to look at the big picture

Justin Paull

Justin,No no.. not at all.. I currently run FS9 on a res of 1600x1200.. so I am making the assumption using a widescreen with 1680x1050 or whatever it is won't be an issue as the two resolutions are somewhat comparable.. I was thinking a response of 5ms?Anyone else care to shed some light on this and give me some recommendations for hardware?ThanksCraigPS.. what about something like this? http://www.pricegrabber.co.uk/search_techs...sterid=27833935

Craig Read, EGLL

Loiosh,I think that's way out my price range :(... it comes in at well over

Craig Read, EGLL

They're more expensive, but you can't go wrong with the Apple Cinema displays or the Dell UltraSharps - they're both amazing, esp the 24" and 30" ones...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest SKireyev

>They're more expensive, but you can't go wrong with the Apple>Cinema displays or the Dell UltraSharps - they're both>amazing, esp the 24" and 30" ones...An interesting thing that I have recently found out is that Dell uses the same lcd panel components as the Apple Cinema. Pretty much the same 'guts', just different packaging.I am glad I didn't sell my 20" Dell to buy an Apple Cinema for 3 times the price.Cheers,