Sign in to follow this  
G-CIVA

Departures fm RWYs 09R/09L at EGLL

Dave,There you have it mate straight from the horses mouth - thanks John!!Have just been scanning through the documentation on the AIS website & could not find any reference to the use of prefered rwys at EGLL, all I gleaned was so long as the tailwind component on rwys 27L/R is less than 5 kts it states they will be used in preference to rwys 09L/R, providing the rwy(s) surface is dry (AD 2 EGLL-1-14 29 Sept 06.Not sure I would fancy getting a fully laded 744 to lift off from a rwy in a tailwind scenario but there you go!!Steve B

Steve Bell

"Wise men talk because they have something to say.  Fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato (latterly attributed to Saul Bellow)

The most useful tool on the AVSIM Fora ... 'Mark forum as read'

Taken from Boeing's webpage, in the airport noise regulations section:>>>Noise Restrictions for operations from 09L:The reasons for restricting operations from 09L go back to the late 1950s/early 1960s when, to placate local residents close to the bottom of 09L, the Dept. of Transport entered into a 'Gentlemen's agreement' with the local communities. This allowed for an increase in aircraft movements, whilst at the same time restricting the noise nuisance to the area of Cranford. Consequently this has since become known as the 'Cranford Agreement', and basically precludes departures from 09L except in exceptional circumstances.<<

Thanks Jose,Very interesting stuff that,I`ll be able to quote that reason at work now!I`m sure the airport got their own back on the residents of Cranford by launching Concorde off with full afterburner over their roofs twice a day claiming exceptional circumstancescheersJon

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

Armen,Thanks for this very useful info, never tried VATSIM, I like to keep my 'simming' PC away from the internet as much as possible.Does anybody out there have any comment, how does it run alongside the 'Queen' - i'd be mostly concerned with framerates & general performance of what with additional programmed running in the background.Steve B

Steve Bell

"Wise men talk because they have something to say.  Fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato (latterly attributed to Saul Bellow)

steve...to connect to vatsim, you need one of two pilot clients (squawkbox3 or fsinn, the latter ALSO operates with fsx as well as fs9 i believe - i use the former) - both are available free on the vatsim home page (link below) on the left hand menu under 'pilot resources').both clients add a little overhead so will impact frames a little - the bigger impact comes when conecting to a multiplayer session (ie. when you log onto vatsim) - that will generally impact frames too but the hit depends on your pc and where you've stuck the sliders in fs. in sb3 (and i assume in fsinn too) there are some options that can ameliorate the frames impact - lhr is always a killer due to the detail of the scenery (with or without add-ons), including the city itself, as well as the on-line traffic hit.you tweak to suit conditions - personally, i like a bit of eye-candy at airports and shut down a good deal of autogen which you don't see in detail at higher levels. i don't bother with shadows from ground objects. your choice!add-on a/c tend to hit frames a little more than default a/c (on or off line) - the queen is already frame friendly (or at least more than some are) - it's a grand platform for cruising the virtual world on-line.the upside of vatsim (or ivao if your prefer an alternative) is you get real folk controlling you and real folk driving the local traffic. you'll generally get the right accents and the right variations in local flying rules as you fly in different parts of the world - eg. metric flight levels over the ukraine and russia, variations in transition alt, special conditions at various airports (like the lhr preferential runways noted above and curfew ops after 11pm local at syd). get sids/stars, non-precision and visual approaches, stuff to study up on when going to a new area, etc. it's generally a more immersing experience.the downside maybe that you log on at a quiet time and get no control or little traffic (but if you're in the right place at the right time, you'll be number 6 in the hold at lam vor inbound lhr). you can also come across very inexperienced new folk who just hop on and do no preparatory reading and can't follow a procedure as they have no idea what they are nor how to fly their kite - the bigger ports like lhr seem to attract more than their fair share of those types!i've never had an issue with my equipment when flying on-line in relation to threats such as viruses, etc. use common sense - use a firewall, anti-virus software, windows defender or other spy-ware watcher-outerer and don't cruise dangerous/questionable sites.i started with vatsim about five years ago - i can't fly off-line as a result, and haven't done since receiving my first on-line clearance. whatever the frames hit, it's worth it. do it! http://vatsim.net/

Chris,Thanks for the very comprehensive brief, but I'm still not sure. I am still flying FS9 & like many on this forum I will not be moving to FSX until I am fully satisfied that it & Vista are rock solid. The financial implications of upgrading to a better system are also a big show-stopper for me right now (regardless about the speculation as to whether future PMDG products will be for FSX or FS9). But thats all in another thread on this forum! I would be greatful if you could have a look at the points I have highlighted below & give me a little more info.I have a fairly up-to date system, albiet that most components are over 12 months old. I also use an Aerosoft MCP (would'nt be without that now - just wish I could find the EFIS & EICAS boxes!!), CH yoke & pedals & a dual monitor setup. I am toying with the idea to purchase an Engravity FMC, but that would be an expensive move. My framerates are locked out at 26 & I average at at least 22-25 FPS in the 'Queen' at most airports, 26 FPS dead in the cruise dropping to 15-20 FPS at places like EGLL, sometimes lower. I have some addon airports installed & FS Global Terrain Mesh & Ultimate Traffic (never rpt never set higher than 10%). Like you I do like the 'eye candy' but am not really concerned with FS autogen scenery, ground & a/c shadows etc. Visibility is never set to more than 30 NM.I have kept away from an internet connection whilst flying, preferring to opeate a 'clean system', all of my downloads pass through a laptop (including virus checks) which is always online, save the necessity to download the 744F etc onto my PC. I therefore don't need a firewall or run anti virus software on my PC (can also affect performance).I do not connect to the internet for my weather, preferring to study real-world data before loading it into the FS Wx menu before I fly. I know this is time consuming but its what I'm now used to. How will VATSIM affect this, I'm assuming that the weather in my PC will have to replicate whats going on inside VATSIM or else I'll be landing into tailwinds on incorrect pressure settings & god knows what else?!!I guess the other implication would be sitting at my PC for at least 13 hrs on a London to Singers run; I must admit that although I am rather anal about trying to replicate real world procedures & obsessive about my hobby I do let the AP & FO do thier jobs during long flights & manage to get away from my flight deck (sleep, food & missus etc). I am a sucker for high-weight take offs & the long haul scene - thats why I loved PS 1.3 & now only fly the 'Queen' in both her guises, but I do have a life (like all of us) away from my virtual cockpit!!What does attract me is the pressure that VATSIM may add to my flight deck, trying to stay ahead of the game & being in the position to anticipate ATCs next move, just like the real-world, in a late decent scenario perhaps, keeping the speed up to make the next altitude restriction or accepting a late rwy change etc.So there you have it, if you want to chat ofline (outside the forum) then hopefully you should be able to see my internet address on my profile. I am interested & may dip my toe in the water, I just don't feel like I have all the info right now to make a fully informed choice.Once again thanks for your time.Steve BPS. We are hoping to emigrate to your fine country in a couple of years, the missus is a citizen & all my family now live in SA!

Steve Bell

g'day steve...a quick reply that probably won't go far enough! :)my machine is coming up on 24months old and for most places, i get frames similar to yours on-line. i have a ch yoke and pedals, trackir and a second monitor running, but that's about it on the hardware front.all the connection software for vatsim (and ivao if you want to try alternatives) is free to download and use so that's a bonus - no cost associated with giving it a bash!weather proggies (eg. activesky) have options to download weather in a variety of forms - activesky specifically has an option to take the vatsim weather feed as it's source. vatsim weather is GENERALLY about an hour or so behind the real world (at least it is in my part of the world) and so i can't say it offers an insurmountable issue. sometimes (like lots of things on the net) the feeds can go up the spout (ie be a couple of days out of date) but that's not the norm - and you MIGHT argue that adds another stochastic planning factor to the sim!if you want to get a feel for what to expect, an option might be to go and sign up on vatsim (to get an id and password), then download the controller client (vrc is the easiest to use but asrc is also an alternative) and just run it in scope (you can hook it up through your fs and set up tower views but you don't have to do this to connect) - connect as an observer (see the doco, it's easy to set up and connect) and have a listen at somewhere busy and get a feel for what you might expect.you can maybe then guage if it sounds like it's for you or not.the technicalities of your set up are outside my range of skills to comment (rudimentary user here :D ) so i'll leave that for others.get vrc by going to the vatsim page and follow the 'controller resources' on the left hand menu. also, get servinfo and configure it for vatsim so you can see if it's busy when you plan to connect and have a shufti (there's a link somewhere on the vatsim site or just google for it).hth

Chris,Thanks mate, very informative!!I may dip my toe in the water - its certainly worth looking into.Whats your favourite route & aircraft?Mine are from Europe to asia & RR engined 744s (just love the sound!!)

Steve Bell

re: favourite - at the risk of sounding like a sad git, pretty well anything that gets you off the ground will get me going - i just came back to perth from melbourne last night (after a spot of business in the east) on a qf 763 (last time, just before xmas was a qf 743) and it's all good and turns me into a kid again. on the other hand, my youngest (17) has just started learning in c152's at the local port for tiddlers (ypjt - busiest in oz on a volume of traffic handled basis), and i only have to hear the first 'pft' of the pistons firing to turn my head. balloons work! :) as a desk jockey by day, it's all good!re: toe in the water - you won't look back! as i said, i can't do it off-line any more.

I know what you mean mate. I did start my UK PPL several years ago. At the time the daughter of my next door neighbours was 763 FO for a well-known UK charter airline, I introduced her to the world of flight simulation in the guise of PS1.3 & 763 PiC (initially she was a sceptic) & in return as a fully 'qualled' UK PPL Instructor she took me flying in a company Cherokee, we split the fuel costs & I got some excellent instruction for free. Quite a complex a/c to start in but it was good fun. Another friend of mine was also a technical engineer working for a well-known Level D commercial sim company based in the UK & I also did about 20 hrs in a brand spanking new Level D 777-200 sim at the construction plant, on the second trip there I flew the whole shebang from LHR to Dubai using my collection of enroute charts & airfield plates, without a hitch I'm proud to say - what an experience!!Sadly I have now moved, and my PPL training along with the sim rides has lapsed with work & personal comitments :-(If things work out & we emigrate to OZ it will be one of my top priorities for my spare time (just as long as I can get a job to support it!!!).Thanks for the info on VATSIM, as I said I think my right big toe might be getting wet in the next week or two!!Just looking outside now at the wx here in good old blighty - snow snow snow!!Cheers & blue skies

Steve Bell