Sign in to follow this  
rgamurot

Inflight Engine Failure Trim Procedure

The other day I was flying from Seattle to Honolulu when my #3 engine caught fire. I followed the abnormal procedure to shut-down the engine and extinguish the fire. Then I went to trim the rudder but I think I have my physics mixed up.Now when and engine fails, you trim your rudder toward the good engine, right? That is, in my case, I should have my rudder deflecting toward my #1 and 2 engines to compensate for the loss of thrust on my right, right? When I did that, the nose yawed to the right. The farther left my rudder went, the farther right my nose went.I've had engine failures before but everything worked out fine then. the only thing I've changed was having FS2Crew installed and I highly doubt that did anything.Ryan GamurotLucky to live Hawai'ihttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/supporter.jpg

Guest FlyMD11.nl

I understand from your writing that you are doing the right thing. "Dead foot, dead engine" is what we learned. So that means that if after all procedures done, you will end up with (in this case) your left foot pressing the pedal to counteract the yaw to the richt caused by the thrust a-symmetry. This force can be trimmed away by trimming to the left. Are you sure you're turning the ruddertrim knob the correct way? Try to turn it the other way and see if it helps!Remco

Guest gremel

As my check pilot told me when doing 'Engine-Out' takeoff's after V1, don't "over-think" the situation. Just 'Fly-the-Aircraft'. Do whatever you have to in order to keep the a/c straight down the rwy.Try to focus your attention by looking way down the rwy and everything will work out just fine with the rudder inputs.You don't really care which engine is 'failed' after doing a few of these and it becomes quite normal to do the right thing. Regards,jack

Guest FlyMD11.nl

Hi Jack, Indeed you're right. During n-1 after to this is true. That's mostly because you have the reference of the runway to keep yourself perfectly alligned. In a real airplane it's not that hard to "think about" during flight too(it's a logical feeling). But it wasn't the question here. The first action with rudder was done, but the problem was the trimming.Remco

I did trim in the other direction and then everything worked fine. But the rudder was deflected toward the out-engine. I even checked outside and on the STAT page; the rudder was on the right.Other then that, I just remembered something else. I had already passed TANK/ENG. A short time later I got a X FEED CONFIG. What should I do with my fuel system? There wasn't anything in the manual so I opened the X FEED Valves but left the Override pumps off.And about the engine-out T/O, I wouldn't be a problem when you're staring down a nice straight runway! Actually even being over land would be nice. But over the ocean, you can't tell which way you're going! I had to use my contrails for reference. Speaking of contrails, when I had my rudder trimmed full left, the contrails from my #1 engine was under my tail and from my #2 engine was passing under the fuselage! Ryan GamurotLucky to live Hawai'ihttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/supporter.jpg

If #3 engine was dead, the nose should have swung towards the right. You should have put left rudder in to stop it swinging right (push left rudder pedal or turn the rudder trim knob ANTIclockwise (i.e. towards the left).If the PFD slip indicator was sliding to the left, you imagine your left foot treading on it.Unfortunately, I have no idea why the nose was swinging the other way.Cheers.Q>