Sign in to follow this  
Guest James1

Two Things I need help with

Guest James1

Firstly i am new to the forum so hello everybody. Now i am needing help with the 747. First, is it possible to manually bank with the yoke when the autopilot is on? Also why are the nav radios defunct? I cant enter the ils frequencies for my landing it makes the plane far from my first choice to go and fly some non fmc flights, which is what i like best. please help, thanks

Where are you trying to entire the ILS frequency at? You must enter the ILS frequency and course under the ILS/MLS heading, not under the VOR's receivers. You would enter it as xxx.xx/xxx. Where before the / is the frequency and after the / is the course.I THINK this is correct. It's been awhile since I've entered an ILS in this plane, but if I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will be along to correct me.

Guest woottsbj25

Hi there!The reason the nav radios are "defunct" is because I believe that's how they are on the real aircraft. As far as I know you can only enter nav radio frequencies on the "NAV/RAD" page of the FMC.Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong.EDIT - Next-minute post :-)

Guest James1

thanks guys, what do you know about my other question?

An answer to your first question. You can manually bank your 747 after you switch on the autopilot as long as you don't have LNAV turned on or you don't engage heading hold or select (clicking on the heading button) in the control panel. I like to do this sometimes when I'm sightseeing, so I just select altitude hold or set an altitude I want and steer where I want to go, barring terrain or other hazards, then I don't have to worry about altitude changes. The autopilot on the 737 has the CWS button or control wheel steering feature but I don,t see that on the 747.Kim

"You can manually bank your 747 after you switch on the autopilot as long as you don't have LNAV turned on or you don't engage heading hold or select (clicking on the heading button) in the control panel. I like to do this sometimes when I'm sightseeing, so I just select altitude hold or set an altitude I want and steer where I want to go, barring terrain or other hazards, then I don't have to worry about altitude changes."If you can do this in PMDG's 744, there must be something wrong. Doing this should result in the A/P tripping off. I don't recall PMDG being programmed this way (unless an update has broken something).Cheers.Q>

Q,I must have found a bug because it does work on my 747 Queen of the Skies, and it is the final CD version. I haven't even installed the sound update yet. When you first engage the autopilot and you don't have LNAV on and as long as you don't click on either the heading hold or heading select buttons, just set your selected altitude or altitude hold, even VNAV can be engaged, and you can bank gently in any direction without tripping off the autopilot. You can of course cause a trip off if you do an extreme or sudden banking maneuver. If you have the "wings level" selection set in the PMDG autopilot options, the aircraft will try return to a wings level attitude when you release the yoke. You can tell the autopilot is slightly fighting you when you do this, so I'm sure this is not a normal function. Any actual 747 pilots out there care to comment?How many people out there can get this to work this way? Is my 747 different from anybody else out there?Kim