Sign in to follow this  
Chaos81

MD-11 takeoff thrust

I was just watching the ITVV Martinair MD-11 video, and Captain Bakker mentioned a couple things I hadn't thought too much about before. When he was going over the ND while waiting for takeoff clearance, he mentioned that when they advance the throttles, you will see the runway align with the aircraft. Does he mean that before takeoff, the runway and the plane aren't aligned? I can't quite tell while looking at the ND, but it's something that I thought was interesting. Shortly after that, he mentions arming the autoflight system and pushing the throttles forward, then autothrust system will take over and advance the throttles. Am I correct in saying that the autoflight system is both the navigation and autothrottle in one? So once that is armed, he doesn't have to press a TO/GA switch or anything like that? The computer just "knows" that they are taking off, and automatically takes over?If that is the case, does the plane have a TO/GA switch? If not, what do they use to tell the plane to go into GA mode?Thanks in advance for any help.Can you tell I'm excited for the plane?

>When he was going over the ND while waiting for takeoff>clearance, he mentioned that when they advance the throttles,>you will see the runway align with the aircraft. Does he mean>that before takeoff, the runway and the plane aren't aligned?Yes they are aligned. However when setting TO thrust the FMS will do a position update according the runway threshold coordinates. That MIGHT align the plane on the ND even closer to the runway symbol especially back in those days when the MD-11 was not GPS equipped. >Shortly after that, he mentions arming the autoflight system>and pushing the throttles forward, then autothrust system will>take over and advance the throttles. Am I correct in saying>that the autoflight system is both the navigation and>autothrottle in one? So once that is armed, he doesn't have to>press a TO/GA switch or anything like that? The computer just>"knows" that they are taking off, and automatically takes>over?That's right. The Auto Flight and Auto Thrust systems are more integrated on the MD-11. There is no distinctive AT switch to turn on. The system is armed prior departure by pushing the Auto Flight button.No switch pressing needed when advancing the throttle levers, the AT system will kick in automatically and set TO thrust.>If that is the case, does the plane have a TO/GA switch? If>not, what do they use to tell the plane to go into GA mode?It has a GA switch which is normally used for go around only. However pressing that switch on take off with less then 80 kts indicated speed the aeroplane will - should a derated thrust have been selected - set maximum take off thrust when pushing the GA switch.Also when pushing that switch during approach when the windshear warning is active the AP will go into windshear guidance mode instead of GA mode.Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

I knew I could count on you to help me figure it all out Markus. Thanks for the answers. :)I have a feeling that once this plane is released, you are going to have a bunch of support to do, with people asking questions like these.

>I have a feeling that once this plane is released, you are>going to have a bunch of support to do, with people asking>questions like these.Are you sure about that? People are telling us that they'd have lost their interest in the MD-11 by the time we finish it... ;)Seriously though, since this aeroplane is kind of different to Boeing and Airbus we'll just have to make sure to have good documentation along with it.But for all those who do not read manuals I'll still be here :)Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

>Are you sure about that? People are telling us that they'd>have lost their interest in the MD-11 by the time we finish>it... ;)I think we all know what's going to happen.>Seriously though, since this aeroplane is kind of different to>Boeing and Airbus we'll just have to make sure to have good>documentation along with it.From what I got with the 747, I have no doubt that it will be top notch. >But for all those who do not read manuals I'll still be hereI have a feeling you'll even be helping out those of us who do read the manuals. I know I'll come up with some sort of question that I'll need you to answer.:D