Sign in to follow this  
ilovetofly

How do I fly a DME 15 WN ARC?

I've created a FP from NZCH to NZWN and am programming the Cape Cambell One Alpha Arrival. I'm all set up after crossing CC NDB then to CABLE INT. The procedure instructions read: "from CABLE track via 15 WN DME ARC to LYALL." Is this progammable in the FMC/CDU or is it flown by heading or how? How does one fly the ARCH?Flying the PMDG 737-800 and using the NZWN STAR CHART for RNWY 34.Thanks for the help.Jim

Hello Jim, The idea is to create two or three FIX's 15 NM from WN. I used two, quite successfully. So try this:In the 'FIXES' section type theseFIX R190 COLOCATED WN 190 15.0FIX R175 COLOCATED WN 175 15.0In your procedure for the CC1A 34 STAR after NAVAID CABLE, type FIX R190 FIX R175 then NAVAID LYALL. This should bring you around nicely in an arc 15NM out of WN for the RWY 34 ILS/DME approach, especially if you keep the speed to 200 as per the STAR chart. The SPEED can also be written into the procedure.There are of course other ways to attack this and more learned folks than I in this forum may enlighten. I have written the SIDS & STARS for WN. More than happy to share these if you PM me with your email address.RegardsJOCK

Jock McIntyre

Nice thing that the black boxes take care of the dme arcs for us; however, it was never too hard to fly them with VOR needle (OBS) and DME readout (the old fashioned dial indicators were better for this than digital). Assume you have entered the arc on about the right heading (a tangent to the arc) and distance from the fix... the next step is to hold heading until the DME increases 1 nm then turn towards the fix about 20 deg. Now the DME will decrease: If it decreases by more than 1 nm below the desired distance then 20 deg was too much of a heading change... If it decreases but starts increasing before reaching the desired amount then 20 deg wasn't enough (probably due to wind). So this is how it works... RMI indicators turn this into a cakewalk because the needle always points to the station, it provides a heading and sometimes gives the DME all on the same guage (I could never afford one of those). The 10 DME arcs are the easiest because you can count on about a 10 deg heading change every mile, depending on wind.Sure is nice to have the black box figuring all this out. Even the Garmin's take the guess work out of DME arcs. Nice.

Dan Downs KCRP

You can build them right on the LEGS page too by doing custom place bearing distance waypoints too like.WN100/20WN110/20WN120/20WN130/20etc

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Thanks Jockos and Dan.Jockos, sent you my email address. Now another question: When you say "In your procedure for the CC1A 34 STAR after NAVAID CABLE, type FIX R190 FIX R175 then NAVAID LYALL". How is this entered into the FMC? Do I key in each fix separatly then LYALL? Your auggestion isn't quite clear. Remember, I'm learning all of this here on AVSIM and by doing.Jim

Thanks Ryan. What do the numbers 100, 110 etc. indicate? I assume the 20 in your example refers to distance from WN in this case. So if I arrive @ CABLE, what fixes would one enter to maintain an arc of 15 WN to LYALL?Jim

Jim, I have sent you the NZWN file by email.Airport Procedures (SIDS & STARS) have been built for most major airports throughout the world. These can be sourced from many places. No doubt you would have many of these sitting in your flight Sim for PMDG. Look in Program Files/MS Games/FS9/PMDG/SIDSTARS. If a procedure exists for the Departure and Arrival airports in your planned flight, when you press 'DEP ARR' button the FMC, the pre written procedures will be brought up here. What this means is that you do not actually have to write the procedure for the departure airport (SID) and the (STAR) for the arrival airport. What you do need to do is either use a flight planner or key directly into the FMC the actual route between the airports, then link them on the LEGS page in the FMC.The excellent Timothy Metzinger 'Advanced Operations Tutorial' takes you through all of this and of course there are the PMDG Operations Manuals.This hardly scratches the surface Jim, but may assist. I have given you some more detail in my email.RegardsJock

Jock McIntyre

>Thanks Ryan. What do the numbers 100, 110 etc. indicate? I>assume the 20 in your example refers to distance from WN in>this case. So if I arrive @ CABLE, what fixes would one enter>to maintain an arc of 15 WN to LYALL?>>Jim It's the radials (bearing) from the fix...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guys,You could always place the desired FIX into the FIX Page & draw a DME arc around it. Use the HDG SEL facility on the MCP to then turn your ship.Back this up with raw data from the facility on the ground.Saves having your head down for too long looking at the 'black boxes' (below 10000' in the latter part of your approach??), more of a 'tactical' solution rather than a 'strategic' one - al la the famous Mr Bill Bulfer!!Regards

Steve Bell

"Wise men talk because they have something to say.  Fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato (latterly attributed to Saul Bellow)

The most useful tool on the AVSIM Fora ... 'Mark forum as read'