Sign in to follow this  
Guest matchouz

auto=land

Guest matchouz

Hello... A quick question regarding the auto=land sequence. I set the ILS frequency to both NAV 1 and 2. When I press on Approach, the airplane intercepts the localizer, but not exactly the glide slope. That is, closer to the tunway, there is a moment where the Approach mode disconects and toggles to VOR loc... I'm trying to find out why this is. If i'm right, it might be because i haven't set the approach speeds (vref) propoerly... In the FMC, there is a page where you can choose the flap and speed configuration... I type/choose 30 and the according speed, but do not manage to insert it... Why is this? ANd is this the problem with my auto=land? Also, tutorials aren't precise on this... What's the FIX mode in the FMc for...Thanks for answering all these questions...CheersMat

Guest ROMANMAN

Hey there,I've found that the autpiloT would revert back to VOR/LOC if your above the glidepath. Another reason might be because of your approach speeds. I normally maintain 180kts till the outermarker and it descends via the glideslope like a charm. Also, for autoland after selecting the APP button you must select both autopilots. cmd1 and cmd2 should be selected. It is explained listed in the tutorials on avsim.com At what altitude are you intercepting the localizer and selecting the APP button? I suggest printing the approach plates for the runways and try flying the approach as published using the altitude restriction and try 180kts till the outer marker with the corect flap settings and see what happens. As far as selecting the Vref speeds, you should select them.You can so this before initial descent. Sometimes it updates at you descend so keep an eye on it. I hope this helps. Happy Landings!!!ROMANMAN

Hi Mat,- Use the NAV RAD page on the FMC to tune the ILS.- To select the landing flap configuration click on the line select key NEXT to the desired flap setting, this will COPY the flap setting and Vref speed down to the scratchpad (bottom of the screen), eg 30/146Immediately click on the line select key next to the input line and the data will be PASTED into the field.- The FIX page allows you to nominate a location such as an airport or VOR or intersection/waypoint then draw a range radius and/or radial on the Nav Display.Don't forget to read the manuals that come with the aircraft, as there is a lot of important info in there, all of the above included.Good luck!

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Guest matchouz

Mark and Romanman...It seems to be working. i quickly tried it, so thanks for the hints. However, somethign weird did happen... Around 3 or 4 Nm from touchdown, approach mode did swop to VOr lock mode whereas the plane was smoothly flying the glide slope by itself... (i followed your advices, 180 knots till the outer marker etc...) Eventually, as Romanman said, it might have been cos' the plane was flying a bit under the slope... But by poressing approach again and both autopilot buttons, it took control of it again... anyway... i'll need mopre practice with this...By the way, once in Approach/ils mode, the light on the autopilot button goes off... Is it normal? Anyways, doesn't matter all that much...Thanks for the help...CheersMAt

>Mark and Romanman...>>It seems to be working. i quickly tried it, so thanks for the>hints. However, somethign weird did happen... Around 3 or 4 Nm>from touchdown, approach mode did swop to VOr lock mode>whereas the plane was smoothly flying the glide slope by>itself... (i followed your advices, 180 knots till the outer>marker etc...) Eventually, as Romanman said, it might have>been cos' the plane was flying a bit under the slope... But by>poressing approach again and both autopilot buttons, it took>control of it again... anyway... i'll need mopre practice with>this...>>By the way, once in Approach/ils mode, the light on the>autopilot button goes off... Is it normal? Anyways, doesn't>matter all that much...>>Thanks for the help...>>Cheers>>MAt Yes it is normal for the light to go out. It means that you can no longer disconnect APP MODE by pushing the button. Don't use the MCP lights for ref for mode engagements - look at the FMA on the PFD. Prior to the light going out G/S will be ARMed - again look at the annunication on the PFD - G/S will be WHITE then turn to GREEN once capture is established.Best,Randy J. Smith<<>>