Sign in to follow this  
Virgin_A340

Rudder problem on landing

I have been having trouble with my 737s and 747s with regard to the rubber on landing. I do an two autopilots engaged approach and then disconnect at 1000-800 feet and fly in manually. When I get to about 200 feet the plane banks violently to the right and loses maybe 50 feet. I watched the replay of the landing to see if I could see what the trouble was and it seems that the at the point when the banking takes place the rudder suddenly goes to the right. This is obviously what is causing the problem. As I said this happens on both the 737 and 747. I am not sure if it does it on full autoland as well.Does anyone know how I can fix this as it makes manual landings very hard.I would really appreciate any help with this so I can get back up flying again soon.CheersAndy S

I can't visualize the problem.. you say it banks at 200 ft, but the rudder is displaced. Hmm The rudder will generate some pitch change but mostly yaw not roll. Regardless, the first things that come to mind all have to do with your controls, which you didn't include.At 200 ft you should be at or about right over the approach lights, and your focus should be on the landing zone markers.... what's the approach look like from the pilot's eyes?

Dan Downs KCRP

How exactly are you disengaging APP MODE? You cannot simply turn off the A/P. You also need to -1] Retune the NAVS2] Turn of A/P and F/Ds3] Push TOGA (this of course only for a GO-AROUND) Best,Randy J. Smith<<>>

>I have been having trouble with my 737s and 747s with regard>to the rubber on landing. I do an two autopilots engaged>approach and then disconnect at 1000-800 feet and fly in>manually. When I get to about 200 feet the plane banks>violently to the right and loses maybe 50 feet. I watched the>replay of the landing to see if I could see what the trouble>was and it seems that the at the point when the banking takes>place the rudder suddenly goes to the right. This is obviously>what is causing the problem. As I said this happens on both>the 737 and 747. I am not sure if it does it on full autoland>as well.>>Does anyone know how I can fix this as it makes manual>landings very hard.>I would really appreciate any help with this so I can get back>up flying again soon.>>Cheers>>Andy SDo you disconnect the A/P by pushing the Disco bar?-John

Seems like you may have a joystick issue or a key assignment conflict. Whatever you are using for the AP disconnect may also be causing a rudder and or roll command. The fact that it is occurring on both the 737 and 747 lends me to think that this is the case rather than handling technique.

Cheers

Steve Hall

> Hmm The rudder will generate>some pitch change but mostly yaw not roll. Of course the rudder will cause roll!! Yaw first and secondary effect is roll! It's basic aerodynamics!!!! FRED

oh and BTW I had the same effect with the Aeroworx B200 on short finals, most prob also around 200' that it would twitch for a moment and then settles again. My controls are dead on with absolutely no spikes ever! It was sorted after I reinstalled fs9 to clear all the old aircraft and stuff I don't use anymore (directory was something like 20gb or so :) ) Anyway, it does not happen anymore so cannot say if it was an addon, scenery or what, sorry :(FRED

Thanks for the replies. >Do you disconnect the A/P by pushing the Disco bar?Yea thats what I do. I then also disconnect the autothrottle as well.I will try resetting my joystick and then try another flight in the 737.Andy S

I agree with Steve, which was implied earlier. Still can't visualize the problem tho.

Dan Downs KCRP