Sign in to follow this  
crash_continental

ksfo-vhhh Range for 747-400

Hi Ryan,i was trying to put the wind data into the FMC but it doesnt work.I press the RTE DATA on the FMC - i cannot select a waypoint - if i press on one on the left side of the FMC - nothing is happening - If i enter some wind and press the right side on the FMC - i gete - INVALID ENTRY.What shall i do.marek

To enter the data, enter your wind direction then speed (HDG/SPD) into the scratch pad. Then press the button to the right of the way point you are entering for. You are supposed to enter the wind on the right side but only for way points at your cruise level. You will get an INVALID ENTRY if you try to enter wind data for a way point during your climb or decent. Skip a few way points down and try again until it takes. All the way points that can take data will have a W to the side of them. Remember, if there are way points one after another with the same info, you can leave the W in place.Hope this finally helps. :)Ryan GamurotLucky to live Hawai'ihttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/supporter.jpg

Great it works.now some questions. I saw that the ETA was changing as i put in all my wind information. i bet you have a lot of experience in long-haul flights. Is the FMC accurate on that ?Why can i only give Waypoints in that are on flight level ? Not all the waypoints (SID, STARS) ?Once again thanks for your helpmarek

Marek,The real FMC has that restriction. Only waypoints in the CRUISE segment can be edited in the LEGS page with regards to winds. Winds during DESCENT are entered on the FORECAST page available from the DES VNAV page.Hope it helps,Mats

Hi Marek,Well, Mats answered your question on why you can only program way points in cruise. About the ETA changing, the FMC does that because now it has an idea of what your ground speed may be during that section of flight. Also, you may notice that the amount of fuel remaining was also changing. These two bits of information are very accurate on long haul flights. There may be instances where they may be more or less accurate at times though.Remember that on long haul fights, you are covering great distances. If you were planning to fly just north of the Jet Stream for example and it's, say 6 hours away, you could actually be in it by the time you hit that portion of your flight. In other words, factors change enroute. For the most part, the accuracy is still very good. I haven't experience a situation where the ETA and Fuel information changed a great deal in flight. It might between way points where you can't enter information, but by the time your pass your next way point, it's usually back to normal.Ryan GamurotLucky to live Hawai'ihttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/supporter.jpg