Sign in to follow this  
Arnaud

TCAS and ND range rings display

Guys-I've read in another recent thread a nice and pleasant trick to make the range rings display on the ND. It's a pretty cool feature for me since I missed it and now I cant do without those rings.Here's my problem: I did not find a way to make this change permanent.Everytime I quit FS, the *.ini gauge file resets and if I forget to edit it before I laucnh FS it starts to get annoying. (I even noticed this file seem to be permanently written when FS and the 744 is running)Also, if I load FS and the 744 with the change made, the rings will display EXCEPT if I change anything from the PMDG menu.For instance, if I add some fuel from the PMDG menu, then the rings wont display anymore.Any kind soul willing to tell me how to make this option permanent?Thanks!:-) EDIT: sorry, forgot to mention I use 737s/744 and 744F all up to date.

Try to edit your file without any other program running. Then save an close the file, then reopen it and it should be saved. If not, try again and close the folder completely. Then open it back up and check. I had this problem once and this helped. I ended up undoing this though since it was difficult to see things during landing and I couldn't figure out how to turn them off.Ryan GamurotLucky to live Hawai'ihttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/supporter.jpg

Thanks Ryan,That's the way I did, actually, I edited the file without anything running. Yet, it still switches back to default settings everytime.

No, it switches back when I quit FS (once it's been loaded with the rings displaying ok), or, as I said in my forst post, if I change anything from the PMDG menu inside FS.For instance, I load FS and the PMDG 744, when I arrive in the session the rings display ok, and as soon as I change something from the PMDG menu options, like adding some fuel for instance, then the rings wont display anymore.

Well, thanks anyway for your hints Ryan.Myself, I do have some idea why it happens. As I said, during an FS session opened and the PMDG 744 running, that gauge.ini file is permanently being written and read, for some obvious reasons.My problem must be linked somehow to the fact that I never use any saved panel state files, and that my default FS light opening is always with the default Cessna. I always choose the 744 from the menu prior to a planned flight. Maybe the reason hides somewhere there.And since we all have our habbits and personnal way to deal with FS and PMDG, this will happen for some of us like me and not for some others like you.I had hoped that there was a way to make that change permanent perhaps without having to always edit the gauge.ini file before launching FS - and I for one dont like to edit any files for PMDG planes.Ultimately, that could have been solved by inculding that 'show range rings' option in the PMDG menu options, just the same way as some other options can be choosen from that same menu according to users/airlines preferences (like the display of the round radio alt etc...)Now onto painting a new livery for the 744F... ;-)Regards,

After reading this thread I went down to my FS9 PC to inspect things and found that the edit to display the TCAS range rings is still "1" and when I loaded saved PMDG 744 flight in the air, the range rings displayed immediately on loading the flight. I then clicked them off and then on again to make sure they work. I then exited FS9 and checked the gauges.ini file for about the 9th time and the "1" is still there for TCAS range rings.I have no idea why it works for me so well. Maybe it's just luck. Now that I've posted thus, the rings will prolly disappear tomorrow when I sim !JonathanP.S. I usually load the PMDG 744 from my saved flights folder (I have 500 saved flights in FS9). It initalizes the aircraft very well in this manner. Sometimes the saved weather loads improperly (or not at all) so I reload the flight and the second time round all loads better. I sometimes find that if I load the 744 after opening FS9 with the default Cessna at KSEA, there is a risk of multiple malfunctions with the aircraft such as only one engine being switched on, etc.

Johnatan-Yes, I think what you report confirm pretty much my guesses that it has something to do with saved flight.I will try to save a flight with the 744 then and see what happens.If positive, I'll get back to you guys and let you know, just in case other fellows encountered the same issue.Thanks!

* sigh * There must be something else: I've tried to save and load a panel state, it doesnt help.Basically, the rings swithes off as soon as I change the fuel amount (or anything else)from the PMDG menu option (within FS).I suppose then I will have to load the fuel with the load manager before I start FS (which is annoying, since I always adjust the fuel on board from FS)Maybe Lefteris or Vangelis could throw some light in there?Best,