Sign in to follow this  

Some meteo questions

Hi,I have tried to search through past archives but nothing came up.Is there any way to make the overcast-to-visibility transition any smoother? I mean, when I descend through overcast the base of it seems flat like a table. In real life it is a gradual process. Another issue somewhat related to the above is the gradually changing brightness of the cloud while flying through it. It seems constant to me regardless of whether you're just about to break out on top or below the cloud. Brightness of the cloud should change from very bright near the top to heavy dark close to the base.So, to me, it might be an issue of certain setting I am missing. Your help would be appreciatedThanksDon

I think that this is one of the limitations of FS2002. If you have FSUIPC, you can set up "graduated visibility" on the Visibility tab.Under FSMeteo, you can adjust the Cloud Transition Rate:Transition rates control the time it takes to make the transition in weather conditions from one station to the next. They avoid unrealistic quick changes in weather conditions. With the Cloud Transition Rate set at 300 (default) it will take about 4 minutes to pass from Clear to Overcast or vice versa. At 150 it will take about 2 minutes. Values between 0 and 900 can be entered.

Alastair,Right, you are correct with FSW clouds and FS Meteo.I have been using that for quite some time now, but in fact FS meteo engine does not cure the problem of flat overcast base. The transition you mention is in horizontal, rather than vertical dimensions. Thanks for your help, though..