Sign in to follow this  
Guest neerajpendse

FMC Waypoint limitation?

Guest neerajpendse

Is there a limitation on the number of waypoints on the 747-400? I recently tried a flight from Mumbai (VABB) to Heathrow (EGLL) which had 56 waypoints I entered manually.I encountered some funny behavior: LEGS mode stopped going to NEXT pages after some point, and destination was deleted from the RTE page. I must admit I did not do a lot of troubleshooting because I had to dump fuel and return to Mumbai after an hour ... but just wondering if there is a limit?- Neeraj.

I can tell you that I've built flight-plans using FSBuild2 and exported them to the 744 that contained well over 100 waypoints without any noticable issues. I don't know what the max is or if the limits are different between the 737 and 744 but I haven't hit it yet.v/r,

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

I remember reading the max waypoint limit is 100 (in the PMDG manual I think), then you can add the rest into RTE 2 and switch halfway through your flight, the longest flight I have done is roughly 10 hours and havent reached 100 waypoints yet so I don't have personal experience.

I don't know if the FMC has a limit but I can assure you that I've flown many, many flights with more than 60 waypoints. How are you inputting your waypoints though? And how do you get you plans?I use FSBuild but before that I too would input the plan manually in the RTE page and put each waypoint and airway in. What I recently found out is that if you use Route Finder (http://rfinder.asalink.net/free/) for example, it gives you each waypoint and airway but at the bottom, it gives you the waypoint then the airway then the waypoint at the start of the airway. EX: Heathrow to Charles De Gaulle you would have:EGLL (0.0nm) -SID-> MID (26.2nm) -UL18-> SFD (59.5nm) -UM605->WAFFU (73.2nm) -UM605-> HARDY (81.8nm) -UM605-> XIDIL (91.0nm) -UM605-> ARTEP (103.7nm) -UM605-> DPE (123.7nm) -STAR-> LFPG (200.5nm) and at the bottom of the page:EGLL SID MID UL18 SFD UM605 DPE STAR LFPGIf you simply input the (EGLL SID MID UL18 SFD UM605 DPE STAR LFPG) plan, the FMC will automatically fill in the waypoints between SFD and DPE along airway UM605. Although you will only see: UL18 SFDUM605 DPEin the RTE page, you will see the other waypoints in the LEGS page. This will reduce the amount of time it takes to input the plan and may also solve your limit problem.Ryan GamurotLucky to live Hawai'ihttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/supporter.jpg

I think during testing, I used up to 24 pages of waypoints (120 waypoints). I don't recall having any problems. This is the limit on our real world aircraft.Sorry, I don't know what is causing your problemRgds.Q>

Guest neeraj.pendse

Thanks folks for your comments, so it was not the number of waypoints. I did not think it would be the issue, because why would PMDG leave out something seemingly trivial like this when they built such a realistic plane.Like I said I was not very scientific in my experiments when I did this, but just wondered if it was a # of waypoints issue. I will play a bit more and ask.- Neeraj.

Guest neeraj.pendse

I am redoing AI101 flight again right now, and the FMC seems to be behaving normally, except that the ACARS shows "ON" and "IN" Event times even though I am cruising. But no problems with the flight plan, I am about halfway through the 3900 nm flight.I guess we will have to file that one under the "can not duplicate" category. Once again thanks for your inputs and insights.- Neeraj