Sign in to follow this  
Guest aaflyboy27

Adding Nav Data To The FMS

Guest aaflyboy27

I built my own airport complete with a VOR and ILS. Is there anyway I can add the airport along with the navagation aids to the NAV Data so it showes up on the FMS??

Yes, and not too difficult. File wpNavAID.txt is a list of navaids where you put the VOR, file airport.dat is a text file where you put your airport centerpoint and file wpNavAPT.txt is where you put your runways. The first two files are very easy to figure out, they are just lists ordered in latlon value. The wpNavAPT.txt file is a little more difficult, but not too hard. Each runway has two records (one for each approach end) with latlon, length, mag bearing, elevation, ILS frequency and ILS course. The easy way to decode these is to look at records where you know the values for these variables. Just add new records to these three files and all you need for a complete setup is a sidstar file. Keep a copy of what you add for inserting into each cycle as you update the airac data.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest aaflyboy27

Where do I find these files??

I assumed you knew at least a little about airac and sidstar, sorry. The wpNav***.txt and airport.dat files are in your default FS9 folder in a directory named FMCWP/NAVDATA. The files you buy from Navigraph every cycle (if you update data) go here.The sidstar files are in your default FS9 folder in a subdirectory named PMDG/SIDSTARS. There is one file for each location, and the filename is based on the ICAO code. The structure and how-to for these are found in a good tutorial by Terry Yingling at the same place you get your US SIDSTARS every cycle (again, if you update data) at http://planepath.comOne word of caution, be sure to backup your original files before modifying them.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest aaflyboy27

I got it to show up, now when I goto the arr/dep page there are no runways to select form????? How can I send you the info I put in so you could see if I did it right??

As mentioned, you need a sidstars file for the airport. These files are found in the .../PMDG/SIDSTARS directory and are named for the ICAO code for the airport (e.g., KBWI is Nashville).The "how-to" guide can be found at http://planepath.comI'm afraid it's up to you at this point, your airport has runways and an ILS but no "procedures" such as arrival, departure and approach charts. All you really need to do is a very short file. Say you want to code your airport ARPT (instead of KBWI or KJFK) and you have two runways 09/27 & 18/36, here is an "empty" sidstar file that will give the FMS enough information to allow the runways to show up (name the file ARPT.txt):FIXESENDFIXESRNWSRNW 09RNW 18RNW 27RNW 36ENDRNWSSIDSENDSIDSSTARSENDSTARSAPPROACHESENDAPPROACHESAnd that's it. Now if you design an approach procedure for your ILS at ARPT then you can use the "how to" I've referred you to to add that procedure to the empty APPROACHES section above. Have fun.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest aaflyboy27

IT WORKED. THANK YOU. Now if I could just find out how to do the same thing for PSS I'd be all set and most happy!JEREMY