Sign in to follow this  
craig_read

CH Yoke and Pedals

Hi all,Before you all groan and complain about this being yet ANOTHER thread about whether or not to get the CH gear.. I am just writing to ask a couple of questions really..I've been reading and reading and reading.. and so far I've gone through probably 20 - 30 different posts on this topic.. The problem is there seems to be no middle ground on this subject.. That is that those using it either love it or consider it a waste of money.. The yoke seems to be the focus of this love hate relationship... From my reading the pedals seems to be about 95% accepted as being pretty good for the money really.. but the yoke seems to get mixed reviews.. Some of the general comments are..Poor build quality.. due to all plastic..Sticking when making smaller pitch corrections..I've seen a very good deal on ebay.. for the yoke and pedals for

Craig Read, EGLL

Craig,I guess it depends on what you want to do with your 747. In the real world 747s arn`t that often hand flown for too long, because they`re a bit of a hand full and their pilots are often too tired for anything too challenging.However most are hand flown for the last 2000ft or so and doing that with a joystick would for me spoil the whole simulation.If you want to try engine failures on take off,and these are a real strong point of this add on,then rudders are essential.My own set up is the CH flight sim yoke,usb rudders and CH throttle quadrant.The quad is great for winding down individual engines.The buttons on the yoke also allow a realistic A/P disconect once established on the ILS.I find the yoke good quality and reliable but not as large and heavy as the real aircraft but a great improvment on a joystickCheersJon

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

It's not really 'til you get INSIDE the CH yoke, that the poor quality really shows. I had to disassamble mine due to a badly soldered joint. Considering what i paid for the yoke and rudder combination, i was horrified at the level of both design and build of the yoke. I supose it's not really surprising, considering the low numbers produced, but it hurt none-the-less.I wouldn't wan't to be without either now though. If i could afford the better quality units, then i'd certainly buy them.

Hi CraigI have been using the CH Yoke & the Pro Pedals for the past 2 years and all I can say is that I am enjoying every moment with these addons. The programmability of the buttons and the flexibility you get when using it with FSUIPC is great.I did however experience a bit of stickyness on the yoke after a year or so but that was easily resolved by adding a drop or two of very thin machine oil on the yoke shaft. The pedals are still doing great with no problems at all.I am seriously considering to purchase the CH Throttle Quadrant which will also add another level of realism to flying the PMDG 747's and 737. I am also really exited about the MD11 which will be a new challenge to master and with these addons I'm sure it will be lots of fun.Yes, you do get quite expensive yokes with great quality and build but I will only invest in something like that when I build my own home cockpit (Simkits stuff) for the 737 or 747's.I think that for the price you mention above for the CH products its a good deal, so go for it and enjoy!!Best Regards

Thanks for the replies everyone I appreciate it.. Like I said I've read mixed reviews and I can afford both right now.. and I am sure it will greatly increase the realism of the experience.. looks like they'll be about

Craig Read, EGLL

Craig stop!Don't get the CH Rudder pedals, I have both those and the Saitek usb pedals and it's Saitek all the way for me.The Saitek pedals are muc, much better and with tension adjustments and the fact that they can be tailored to fit your foot size and..................they are cheaper, they are a must.Still enjoying your tutorial Craig..............first class IMO.:-)

Dave Taylor gb.png

Anybody have any opinions on the Go Flight set of products? I have all three CH Products (yoke, rudder pedals and quad throttle) and they have their good and bad points, bad being the price and quality of construction, although I have been happy with them so far. Four throttle controls for an airliner like the 747 are definitely a must. It would be nice to get something better in the future (when I have the money).Kim

Guest Steve_Park

>The Saitek pedals are much, much better and with tension>adjustments and the fact that they can be tailored to fit your>foot size and..................they are cheaper, they are a>must.>I have had my CH usb rudder pedals for about 4+ years...paid $109 USD and notice that both the Saitek and CH both retail for $149 USD, however the cheapest I have been able to find the Saitek is $137 and CH is still $107-$109 price range on the net....where did you find Saitek cheaper than CH????...I have a toe brake out of mine right now and I am looking for a replacement set.Steve Park

Guest Steve_Park

Dave T. Thanks for the link, however, the price is still about $20.00 USD higher than the CH Pro Rudders, so I would suggest a retraction about the Saitek being cheaper. (65.50 GBP = 127.221 USD ) Also, since I am in the US, that vendor does not ship here:6. Delivery methodsThe products bought on the Site will be delivered to mainland UK. In the event that you want your goods delivered in another country where Pixmania is present, you must purchase your order through that site that corresponds to your country (for example: for Spain, Pixmania Spain, for France, Pixmania France). It is the country where delivery will take place that determines the country of purchase. .Your order will be delivered to the address you indicated when you placed your order.Please note that we do not deliver in the Isle of Man and in the Channel Islands: Alderney, Guernsey, Jersey and SarkBut thanks for the tip on the broken wire, will have a go at taking it apart and see if I can get another 4 year's service from them. If that fails, will probably look for a US souce for the Saitek and give it a try.Steve Park

Steve, private email me and I'll send you a picture of them apart?

Dave Taylor gb.png

I went for the Saitek pedals.. and I must say they are pretty good really.. and cheap..

Craig Read, EGLL

And an enhancement for that lovely PMDG 747 too eh Craig? ;-)

Dave Taylor gb.png

Definitely.. I've been doing some landings and take offs.. I must admit.. the takeoffs with engine failures are SO MUCH EASIER now.. it's incredible.. I'm still a bit disorientated.. when it comes to landings and crosswinds.. but I am improving.. landings are pretty bad still when in poor conditions.. BUT.. I am getting better.. gonna do some circuts at EGSS tomorrow for a few hours with some severe turbulence.. see how I get on..CheersCraig

Craig Read, EGLL