Sign in to follow this  
georgetyrrell

737ng poor peformance- need pointers

Greetings,Having downloaded the 737ng several weeks ago I have found very poor performance using this aircraft. When using 2d and VC configurations with various types of scenarios the results are still the same. Initially I converted all outside textures to dxt3 and subsequently to dxt1 to decrease system load but to no avial. My pc is not high end to be fair to it. In determination to get this superb aircraft to function I have removed fs9 in the correct manner, updated my drivers too (drivercleaner etc) and re installed a brand new sim. I currently have installed fsglobal, gepro, activesky and real environment pro. I do not have any airport or scenery add on, nor have I any other aircraft than the 737ng. I report severe stuttering and FPS in all views of a max 17 (locked at 25). It drops wildly to as low as 5. I have all non essential services stopped on a specific profile on my pc and use fsautostart to shut down all other programs non essential, even explorer. I run fs9 on one virtual cpu. I am however in the minority, as there doesn't seem to be any complaints or reports of bad performance using this product that I can see. So I am wondering have I missed something glaringly obvious in the setup of this product. I have searched this forum and read all the FAQ's and I cannot isolate the problem. I wonder could somebody give me any ideas as to the problem, any help would be greatly appreciated. I run an Intel P4 HT, 1gb ram, Ati Radeon x850 pro system, I hope I have provided enough information so that I can discount obvious errors.Thanks for reading the long post!!George Tyrrell

Guest neerajpendse

What's the processor speed?I have a P4 HT 3.2, 1 GB RAM, ATI Radeon 9800 128MB.HT should be (and is) dissabled.I get 30 fps in most flight conditions and ~20 at busy airports. I run medium-high settings on the graphics. I do not have Active Sky or GE.Hope that helps in benchmarking it.- Neeraj

All,>I have a P4 HT 3.2, 1 GB RAM, ATI Radeon 9800 128MB.>HT should be (and is) dissabled.HT is highly system dependent. I have a P4 2.8GHz, 1GB RAM, ATI Radeon X800XL 256MB and can't see any difference with HT ON or OFF. I run with HT ON.>I get 30 fps in most flight conditions and ~20 at busy>airports. I run medium-high settings on the graphics. I do not>have Active Sky or GE.I have my frames set to max 25. Only in dense sceneries it drops down to mid teens. Depending on CPU speed the OP should get decent performance.Hope it helps,

Neeraj,Its a 3ghz CPU. Why would you disable your Hyper Threading? I set affinity for FS9 onto CPU1 and other stuff like Activesky etc to CPU2. Obviously not relevant to this post really because I don't have many add ons installed.George Tyrrell

Guest neerajpendse

First, if you have a 3GHz machine then you should be getting much better frame rates than you are. On my system, HT on or off does make a difference: although I tested this ~2 years ago.I noted from some forum posts (also ~2 years ago) that people were generally recommending HT to be OFF. Reason floating around was that FS9 code is not very parallel ... and hence the other virtual CPU keeps idle a lot. I suppose it makes sense, but I am not a programmer, and there are more knowledgable folks on the forum. You might want to try with HT OFF though, it's a simple switch in the BIOS.Some other things on performance: - Have you checked if your firewall or antivirus is hogging the CPU? Sometimes mine does. - Is your disk defragmented? - What graphics settings in FS9? - I have heard that AA and AF should be OFF within FS and ON within the graphics driver.Beyond that I am out of my depth.- Neeraj