Sign in to follow this  
Guest visualchaosfx

PMDG 747 Localiser problem

Guest visualchaosfx

I've been using autoland on and off since I first bought the jet and have always been able to line up with the runway using the localiser button. Well after programming the runway that I'm supposed to land on, in the FMC, I switch on the localiser button so I can intercept it. Lately though it hasn't been lining me up onto the runway like it has so many times before. It lines me up about a plane length over to the right or left, so I've had to land the jet manually, which I don't mind doing. Just wondering if maybe I'm not properly aligning the IRS or something? I give it the 15 mins it needs to align. I was thinking maybe its because of the weather settings. So I flew a flight from KDTW to KSEA with the weather settings set to clear skies. No wind, no nothing, other than the night time sky and I'm still not lined up with the runway automatically.I was gonna maybe uninstall and then reinstall the PMDG 747 and see if maybe that'll help, but I thought I would check in here first before I did that. Any suggestions?Thanks,Lee A.

Just out of curiosity, when do you arm the LOC? I usually arm it before I intercept. For me, the aircraft turns a little late and drifts to the opposite side of the localiser then corrects about 12 miles before the runway. Also, what is your speed at intercept? I'm usually 180kts or less so perhaps your aircraft doesn't have enough time to correct.Ryan GamurotLucky to live Hawai'ihttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/supporter.jpg

Guest visualchaosfx

>Just out of curiosity, when do you arm the LOC? I usually>arm it before I intercept. For me, the aircraft turns a little>late and drifts to the opposite side of the localiser then>corrects about 12 miles before the runway. Also, what is your>speed at intercept? I'm usually 180kts or less so perhaps>your aircraft doesn't have enough time to correct.>>Ryan Gamurot>Lucky to live Hawai'i>>http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/supporter.jpgWhen ATC tells me that I am 24 miles from the airfield and that I need to turn right or left heading X and descend to X and stay on that heading until I intercept the localiser, I set the heading as indicated by ATC and then I arm the LOC. My speed at that time was 200 knots.I'm gonna try and have my speed lower than 200 knots and see if that does anything. Thanks for the suggestion.

Guest visualchaosfx

Well here are some images to look at:autoland3nz0.jpgThis one here I'm following the magenta path side ways.autoland2vp0.jpgThis one here, I have intercepted the localiser and awaited for the jet to level out. Look how way off I am to the runway on the ND.autoland1he0.jpgLook at this!! The autoland is landing me onto the tarmac. Not the runway??Like I said, how don't have a problem with landing the jet manually but I'd like to sometimes use autoland and before this started happening, I was always lined up on the runway, even when I did have fair weather settings enabled. This experiment was done with clear skies, no winds or anything like that. I believe the IRS is not aligning right, but like I said earlier, I give it the 15 mins it needs to align.

Lee,The IRS wont be causing this as you have GPS updating active.Your LOC indications on the PFD seem to be in reverse sense, ie you are well left of runway cenreline but your LOC is showing fly left.(in the middle picture)Are you sure flightsim wasnt using the reciprical runway ILS?Also on your NAV display it looks like there is no approach programmed in just your last fix direct to the airport? is that correct?cheers Jon

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

Guest visualchaosfx

"Also on your NAV display it looks like there is no approach programmed in just your last fix direct to the airport? is that correct?"Correct. Once I get my runway info from ATC, I go into the DEP/ARR index, select the runway and execute it. I then go into the legs page and the plan is as follows:BLUITNORMYBUCKKCNNTISEA06RW34RDODVEANVILhold atANVILSo then I line select RW34R and then I click the 1st line select key to move the RW34R to the top of the legs page so it reads as follows:RW34RDODVEANVILhold atANVILI've always done it this way and I'm always lined up on the arrival runway. Now its a different story this time."Are you sure flightsim wasnt using the reciprical runway ILS?"What do you mean?"Your LOC indications on the PFD seem to be in reverse sense"How did it get that way?

Look at your ND, it shows you are in line with the runway but in actuality, you aren't. Also, on your PFD, your localiser is pointing in the correct direction. It looks like you are landing at Seattle? Are your navdatas current? That is both AIRAC and SID/STARS? I know the runways were off in an old AIRAC set.Firstly, is this the only airport that this occurs with? If so, try the approach with another aircraft. Secondly, make very certain your waypoints are set correctly. There should be a magenta line running right down the white dotted line. I'm guessing that if you did select the STAR and RWY correctly, there might be an error in your SID/STARs.Now you said you don't enter your approaches until you get your clearance. I'm guessing you selected the visual approach into Seattle. After you select the approach, there should be another two options below the RWY; VFR APPCH< and FPA. VFR will automatically set an intercept about 10nm from the RWY. With FPA, you can select how far out your intercept will be. Make sure you select one of these options.Ryan GamurotLucky to live Hawai'ihttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/supporter.jpg

Guest visualchaosfx

"Look at your ND, it shows you are in line with the runway but in actuality, you aren't. Also, on your PFD, your localiser is pointing in the correct direction. It looks like you are landing at Seattle? Are your navdatas current? That is both AIRAC and SID/STARS? I know the runways were off in an old AIRAC set."Yes I'm landing at Seattle. The navdatas are not current but that should n't be an issue because I've landed there so many times before without any problems."Firstly, is this the only airport that this occurs with? If so, try the approach with another aircraft. Secondly, make very certain your waypoints are set correctly. There should be a magenta line running right down the white dotted line. I'm guessing that if you did select the STAR and RWY correctly, there might be an error in your SID/STARs."No. The other airports that this has happened was KDTW KMIA KAUS and now KSEA. Maybe thats what it is. My waypoints aren't set correctly because if you look at the image, the magenta line is not running through the dotted line like its supposed to. I'm gonna try another experiment."Now you said you don't enter your approaches until you get your clearance. I'm guessing you selected the visual approach into Seattle. After you select the approach, there should be another two options below the RWY; VFR APPCH< and FPA. VFR will automatically set an intercept about 10nm from the RWY. With FPA, you can select how far out your intercept will be. Make sure you select one of these options."Actually its an IFR flight plan. But I'll check that out as well. Lee A.

Guest visualchaosfx

Well I fixed the problem. I uninstalled and reinstalled the 747. Now everything works perfect. I'm lined up with the runway once I intercept the LOC and its all good. Thanks for the help anyways guys:D

EDIT : This reply probably came too late but read on it may prove useful !Dear Lee,Your magnetic deviations probably have been set to ZERO (search for other post regarding this isuue). Probable cause some CTD or most likely scenery installation. E.g. try switching from MAGnetic to TRUE using the switch below the MCP to see if the ND compass rose "rotates" as appropriate.FIX : Find your Scenery/Base folder located in your FS9 root directory and delete (or rename) the scenery.dat file in there. Then relaunch FS9 and this file will be rebuilt automatically.Another guy had this issue (search for magnetic deviation in this forum) a few days ago. Hope you do not have to do this every time you launch FS !Best,Vangelis===================================== EMV Precision Manuals Development Group www.precisionmanuals.com=====================================

====================================

E M V

Precision Manuals Development Group

====================================

Guest visualchaosfx

>EDIT : This reply probably came too late but read on it may>prove useful !>>Dear Lee,>>Your magnetic deviations probably have been set to ZERO>(search for other post regarding this isuue). Probable cause>some CTD or most likely scenery installation. E.g. try>switching from MAGnetic to TRUE using the switch below the MCP>to see if the ND compass rose "rotates" as appropriate.>>FIX : Find your Scenery/Base folder located in your FS9 root>directory and delete (or rename) the scenery.dat file in>there. Then relaunch FS9 and this file will be rebuilt>automatically.>>Another guy had this issue (search for magnetic deviation in>this forum) a few days ago. Hope you do not have to do this>every time you launch FS !>>Best,>>Vangelis>>=====================================> EMV> Precision Manuals Development Group> www.precisionmanuals.com>=====================================Sweet thanks for the tip. I uninstalled and reinstalled the PMDG 747 as indicated in my last post and that fixed the problem. It also fixed the stuttering problem that I was having when using the jet. But I'll have to try your suggestion the next time I have this problem again.

Lee,A better,more realistic way of getting to the airport is to have the ILS(or other type) approach entered rather than just going direct to the 34R fix.The reason being it will display several fixes along the ILS which are used to cross check your height against distance.In the real world there have been several cases of equipment failure which have lead to on glideslope indications regardless of the aircrafts position relative to the glideslope.True you can cross check using raw data and a chart if required.A real world procedure after leaving your last en route fix or hold and receiving vectors to the ILS would be to set up an "extended centreline". Eg on EGLL LHR ILS 27 right we would select the fix of IRR7.5 and put it at the top of the legs page with a 272 degree intercept,which is the runway heading.hope that makes sense and is of some usecheersJon

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

Guest visualchaosfx

>Lee,>>A better,more realistic way of getting to the airport is to>have the ILS(or other type) approach entered rather than just>going direct to the 34R fix.>The reason being it will display several fixes along the ILS>which are used to cross check your height against distance.In>the real world there have been several cases of equipment>failure which have lead to on glideslope indications>regardless of the aircrafts position relative to the>glideslope.True you can cross check using raw data and a chart>if required.>A real world procedure after leaving your last en route fix or>hold and receiving vectors to the ILS would be to set up an>"extended centreline". Eg on EGLL LHR ILS 27 right we would>select the fix of IRR7.5 and put it at the top of the legs>page with a 272 degree intercept,which is the runway heading.>hope that makes sense and is of some use>>cheers>>JonYes I have started programming the approaches to land on the specified runway. But my main focus in the next couple of weeks is to download the updated AIRAC cycles as I'm still running the cycles that came with the PMDG 747. I have yet to try and do a VNAV approach onto the runway. The one problem I'm having, and I believe its due to the fact that the default ATC is nothing like the real deal, is that I don't get the landing runway info until I'm about 80 or 70 iles out from the airport. In real aviation, isn't the landing runway predetermined during the intial flight planning stages at the departure airport?

Lee,>don't get the landing runway info until I'm about 80 or 70 >iles out from the airport. In real aviation, isn't the landing>runway predetermined during the intial flight planning stages>at the departure airport?ATIS transmitters has a relatively short reach so I would say that default ATC got that pretty much right.In real world the crew will not know what runway they'll get until late. Usually pre-flight planning includes a best guess, or worst case scenario. After that the crew will monitor weather changes at arrival to anticipate what runway they'll get. I guess more and more airports will have the ability to broadcast ATIS on ACARS as well. In that case information would be available enroute, still has to take weather changes into accoutn though.I remember visiting the crew on a Scandinavian flight from ESSA to KEWR on a 767 in 2004. While talking to the captain about my job(!) the F/O was printing out METARs for Newark like crasy, every ten minutes or so and discussing what runway they'll get, I kid you not. Guess those long-hauls can get pretty boring after a while.Hope it helps,

Guest visualchaosfx

>Lee,>>>don't get the landing runway info until I'm about 80 or 70 >>iles out from the airport. In real aviation, isn't the>landing>>runway predetermined during the intial flight planning>stages>>at the departure airport?>>ATIS transmitters has a relatively short reach so I would say>that default ATC got that pretty much right.>>In real world the crew will not know what runway they'll get>until late. Usually pre-flight planning includes a best guess,>or worst case scenario. After that the crew will monitor>weather changes at arrival to anticipate what runway they'll>get. I guess more and more airports will have the ability to>broadcast ATIS on ACARS as well. In that case information>would be available enroute, still has to take weather changes>into accoutn though.>>I remember visiting the crew on a Scandinavian flight from>ESSA to KEWR on a 767 in 2004. While talking to the captain>about my job(!) the F/O was printing out METARs for Newark>like crasy, every ten minutes or so and discussing what runway>they'll get, I kid you not. Guess those long-hauls can get>pretty boring after a while.>>Hope it helps,Ah ok. Alot of guessing throughout the flight eh. Thats sweet that you are able to tag along on a flight.