Sign in to follow this  
Flaps30

737-700 VNAV Disconnect

Hi, I love the 737 and am still learning. I also love TMs Tutorial and have been progressing quite well. One problem I am having on repeated flights is in Flight 3 - Florida tour 2. I can't seem to hit the 7000 ft. restriction at RSW without a unachievable disconnect. I am following everything by the book, but I still miss. It seems to decend quite slowly from the previous 12000 ft. restriction until about 10000, then picks up a little more steepness toward RSW but then I get the warning. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. Tom

Guest tomahawk_pa38

VNAV takes a lot of handling and there is plenty of posts in this forum on the problems. Key one is that VNAV calculates the descent path based on the winds speeds and direction you enter in the Descent Forecast page. If you haven't entered anything in here and you pick up a tail wind - you are going to get a VNAV Disconnect message. In the absence of any other info you can estimate the descent winds by seeing what the wind is at your cruising level from the top left of the CDU and as shown on the Progress page of the FMC and by the ATIS of your destination airport.PS You need to put your name on your posts.

The hesitation to descend is due to the FMC lowering the descent rate to about 500 fpm approaching 10000 to slow to 240... the fix is to cross 12000 at either 250 or 240 or use spoilers during the deacceleration period to shorten it and the impact on your letdown.Always review the decent profile and plan your flight... don't let the FMC become the pilot.

Dan Downs KCRP

Thanks for the help guys. By the way, I did put my name at the end of my post. ;-) Tom

Tom, yes you did put your name at te end of your post but, it's not prominent.The request for your name means it's not where others can read it to respond.You need to lter your 'profile' so that it will be entered at the end of every post you make. That way, you will recieve a more favourable reply.;-)

Dave Taylor gb.png