Sign in to follow this  
craig_read

FMC Legs and Routing Issue (bit complicated but)

Craig I seem to recall reading somewhere that there is an issue with the FMC if you use the departure airfield as the destination.Try building the route to another airfield. When activated and EXECuted then change the destination airfield back to the departure airfield and enter the approach. Delete the waypoints you dont need.

Cheers

Steve Hall

ok.. thanks everyone so far :)Thanks Ryan.. I had a feeling it was database only but I'm glad you cleared that up for me.. I won't be searching for how to enter information like that anymore now.. lol.. :)Chris.. yes that's what I was trying to do and for some reason it wasn't working.. whenever I added a waypoint I got INVALID ENTRY.. this morning however is different.. I am totally bewildered.. must be my setup I think.. I didn't get the RW03 130/85 fix either today!!! Must be something to do with that.. perhaps it was a rogue fix that got in there somehow and the FMC couldn't plan from it? I dunno.. see below :)Lee.. and Steve.. I think you two are right.. it's probably an issue when you use the same airport as origin and destination.. (I know that's not normal practice).. However now I seem unable to replicate it today.. I will try later though and post some images..**********************************Why when you want something to go wrong does it always work and make you look like an idiot!? lolWELL.. typcial.. lol.. I pop on here and have a read and go back to it.. and ta-dah.. it seems to work.. randomly and magically now all by itself.. Again no change to procedure.. setup the data.. origin EGNJ dest EGNJ.. set 03 as the runway.. BUT.. this time no RW03 waypoint in the legs page.. ??? Strange huh (even with it selected via DEP ARR I don't see this waypoint anymore).. I mean I wasn't making it up before!.. I am gonna keep an eye on this more closely see if there is a pattern of some kind to it.. I wasn't imagining it.. if I replicate this again I will show you some pictures.. If it's working now perfectly.. it makes me think it must be something funny with my setup or installation and not the simulation.. or perhaps something didn't load quite correctly? I really don't know.. I might attempt a re-install from blank and see if it does it again.. If it does I am taking pictures and showing the problem I have.. although it is comforting that others seem to have had the same problem at some point..The thing I still notice though.. even now.. after inputting EGNJ as origin and EGLL as destination (or in fact any other airfield combination including EGNJ, EGNJ).. TEST as flight no. then.. 03 as the runway leaving co-route blank... I get the option to activate that route... when I press that.. EXEC lights up.. I press that.. as expected FMC goes blank for a few seconds.. and returns.. however.. RTE 1 .. is still RTE 1.. it's not ACT RTE 1.. as I expected it to be.. In fact it never is.. when just entering the airfields and take off runway.. Is this right? Is it my install? On PS1.3A it always changes to ACT RTE 1...Before.. information entered.. activate is an option RTE 1 displayed..http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/169115.jpgActivation pushed.. EXEC lights.. http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/169116.jpgEXEC pushed.. FMC goes blank and I'm back to where I started.. RTE 1 is still not the active route? The second I put in a waypoint into the legs page I can activate again and now.. RTE 1 is ACT RTE 1http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/169117.jpgI'm sure it's not supposed to do it that way.. is it?CheersCraigPS Thanks for your patience.. I appreciate you're probably getting tired of me prattling on..

Craig Read, EGLL

Probably because you haven't got a rte to EXECute. Have you tried to put in a SID or a waypoint on the rte in either legs or RTE page 2 and then executing. It is not standard procedure to set up the FMC as you are doing. The whole FMC entry and set up procedure should flow, via the prompts on the bottom RH side of the page, from the IDENT page. This includes entering a route description. Try putting in more route info and then see if it executes.

Cheers

Steve Hall

Steve..Like I said in my post.. This works fine in PS1.3A.. just like that.. and when I put a waypoint in the LEGS page.. after activation it becomes ACT RTE 1 as I would expect it.. This exact way of doing things works fine in PS1.3A, it just doesn't with the PMDG version.. so which way is right? Also.. if it wasn't in the procedure.. why would give the option to activate?I would have thought it makes sense to add the airfields.. information .. etc.. then activate the route with them.. then input the route.. the SID.. etc.. and re-activate.. I mean like I said.. you can do this in the PS1.3A.. version fine..RegardsCraig

Craig Read, EGLL

Ok to summarise :).. I think I found out what I needed to now..Some elements within SIDs are part of the database information and cannot be added manually or created manually.. in the FMC during pre-flight.. like the (INTC) entries...I think I've got this sorted now.. but I am sure there are some bugs (perhaps in mine only) in this FMC software somewhere that I can't put my finger on.. This INVALID ENTRY thing when origin and destination are the same.. is definitely not right.. when it does it (I will post up shots when it does again.. but it seems I am not the only one having this trouble).. I am not sure if this is my setup or something funny in the FMC software..As for FMC behaviour.. I think you can activate a route with just the airfields and runway set.. in the FMC.. and make it the active route.. PS1.3A definitely facilitates this.. It may be this is not modelled correctly here or in the PS1.3A FMC.. I am not sure.. Be nice to know which is right..I apprecaite what I am doing is not quite right for a SOP.. but my curiousity has really stemmed from doing some unusual circuits and finding some things not quite how I expected them to be in the FMC..Anyway.. Thanks allCraig

Craig Read, EGLL

In the real aircraft it is possible to have the destination and departure the same and activate and execute the rte. We do this all the time in training scenarios in the simulator. This is not the case with the PMDG FMC, however it is not a major and can be worked around.SIDS are coded and depending on the complexity the waypoints cannot be manually entered ie. INTC or a conditional fix entry.If the actual airfield has SIDS but the PMDG database doesn't then you will have to create the SID file yourself...relatively easy. You can also set up your own "SIDS" for airfields you use that dont have actual SIDS (you can be as creative as you like). Other options are to set up various Place bearing distance waypoints and use INTC course to or DIRECT to functions etc, to fly them in accordance with the published procedure. If the airfield does have SIDS and they are in the PMDG database but you keep getting INVALID ENTRY then change the destination and then enter the SID. Go to ARR DEP page and select the approach you want at the departure airfield. This will enter the approach and change the destination field on the RTE page to the same as your departure.Go back to the legs page and resolve any discontinuities and/or add additional waypoints as required.

Cheers

Steve Hall