Sign in to follow this  

Looking for a DC-3 fuel calc

Hi, im just fly this amazing bird and i need a fuel calc.TIA

Guest Lizardo

VERY roughly.."rule of thumb", the one I flew in USN, was a gallon per mile of fuel and .03 gallons of oil per mile. (150 miles= 150 gallons of fuel, 5 gallons of oil.).

Guest Heather 636

That sounds pretty good Liz as on that RTW Rally I flew in (before my arrival at DC3Airways and AVSIM) I was running at an average of about 1.24 gal per mile; but that was also with throttles wide open and as low to the deck as possible for best top speeds.Flying her by the numbers now, I have seen it drop proportionately closer to what you have stated.I have made numerous DC3-Airways runs where I have had about enough fuel remaining for about twenty minutes.Most of the time though, with there flights, I just leave the auxillaries empty. Full mains usually get me to where I have to go with more than enough left to spare.Cheers!Heather

Guest Lizardo

haha, I dunno "sounds good", haha, that's what the sucker usually ate. We were required to top off everything before "out & back", and visually observe same in pre-flight; "running out of fuel" was a court-marshall offense.

Depends on how you fly it really.. you'll burn a lot during taxi and take off, but if you lean your mixtures and power off your engine settings like you are supposed to, then figure on approx 100 gallons an hour with an overall full flight time of 7 hours.Use below as a reference for flying a DC-3...*********DC-3 POWER SETTINGS*********_____________________________________________________________________Throttle sequence is PROPS, POWER, MIXTURETAKE OFF: 2700 rpms - 44 inches MAP - AUTO RICH (Trim -4 degrees)ROTATE 84 kntsCLIMB OUT 400 fpm - 105 kntsLANDING GEAR up at 500AGLPOWER SETTINGS:Take-Off 2700 rpms - 44 inches MAP - AUTO RICH95 knts 2550 rpms - 40 inches MAP - AUTO RICH (Trim Down)110 knts 2350 rpms - 36 inches MAP - AUTO RICHCruise 150 knts 2050 rpms - 30 inches MAP - AUTO LEANSTANDARD RATE OF TURN: 20 Degree Bank Angle_________________________________________________________________________DECENT at 400fpm ..Reduce Power only.Throttle sequence is POWER, PROPS, MIXTUREPATTERN SPEED: 110 kntsGEAR DOWN 140 knts (Trim Up)20 degrees Flaps 135 knts (Trim Up)30 degrees Flaps 99 knts40 degrees Flaps 97 kntsFULL degrees Flaps 95 kntsAPPROACH 2050 rpms - 24 inches MAP - AUTO LEAN 105 knts 2050 rpms - 18 inches MAP - AUTO LEAN 90kntsOUTER MARKER 2700 rpms, & ..Reduce Power, AUTO RICHLAND: 84 knts Over the Fence - Close Throttle 74 knts ...MAIN WHEELSSTALL SPEEDS: FLAPS UP 67 knts FLAPS DOWN 61 kntsRegards.. TrevVisit "The DC-3 Hangar"http://www.douglasdc3.comhttp://www.douglasdc3.com/1/dc3.jpg