Sign in to follow this  
Guest Fuerteventura

Programming Languages of choice for FS Addons

Guest Fuerteventura

I'm sure one of PMDG's developers can help me out here. I assume that for programming the PMDG Aircraft, C+ will be used. I'm about to start a job where I'll be fully trained in Java - is it possible to create good FS Addons in Java (aircraft, scenery or other) or is C the only real solution?Many thanks,Mark

Depends on your addon, and what its requirements are. For example, if the addon requires code in the "modules" directory, then you need to use a language that can create a Windows .dll with appropriate interfaces. C++ or C would be suitable, Java would not.What, specifically, are you looking to do?- Bill

- William Ruppel, CYTZ, VATSIM 816871

Mark,many years ago when I had to learn to programme Java (which later on turned out that I have NO talent for programming at all) they told me over and over again that Java and C++ are very similar. So I guess once you are a pro in coding Java you'd have a big advantage once you start doing C++. It is my understanding that Java can NOT be used for gauge-programming.Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

Markus,As a senior member on a very large team that develops in C++ and Java, my experience has shown: going from C++ to Java is relatively trivial. The other direction... is not. :)C++ has many quirks and pitfalls, many of which are a result of the legacy requirements of C. One of the biggest issues Java programmers have with C++: heap management. Another biggie is legacy "return code" error control paradigms (although that wouldn't be a problem for a new project).- Bill

- William Ruppel, CYTZ, VATSIM 816871

HeyI study software engineering in college, I have studied Java before and done a small amount of C++, I was wondering if it were possible for you guys to give me links to some topics/tutorials/books on guage and module programming for flight sim. I figure its a good way to learn some more programming skills and design my own FS stuff at the same time.Thanks Guys,Patrick.

Patrick,I used to have a good tutorial on this some time ago. A quick google and it seems you need to look for a tutorial written by Dai Griffiths of Dragonflight Design. The latest revision of this document was 17 and included the FS2004 SDK.EDIT: A little more search revealed a rev 18 and it's right here in the AVSIM library: http://library.avsim.net/search.php?Search...=root&Go=SearchHappy studying,

Hey Mats,Thanks for the link, I'm just having a look at it now. Looks excellent.Thanks again.Patrick.