Sign in to follow this  
Guest danderson79

Engaging LNAV

Guest danderson79

Hi,Currently flying with the PMDG 737-800 within FS9. I'd like to be able to engage LNAV so I can leave the FMC to fly the plane for short periods and ensure the course is followed rather then my IFR being cancelled.Currently when selecting LNAV, the FMC first button lights, so I'm assuming there's some additional data that I need to input in order for the computer to follow understand the course I'm following.Whilst I'm assuming the data needs to be added to RTE (have added start and destination airports in here) I'm not entirely sure of what additional data I need to add.Is anyone able to assist here?Thanks in advance - Daniel

There's lots of assist here... but we all had to start with the product manuals. The 737NG is a pretty sophisticated simulation, not at all like the default aircraft.Let's start with the route question: Pick an easy trip to program while learning all the basics.. for example LAS-LAX since it is only about 40 min. and the departure procedure from LAS takes you to the arrival procedure at LAX (HEC VOR). Get the charts, look at the real thing online at flightaware.com and then learn to do it with your 737-700 (since it is probably a SWA flight). Most of all, have fun but use the books.

Dan Downs KCRP

Daniel,I think you have a lot to learn about this aircraft.. but don't worry most of the literature and instruction is available to you.. As already pointed out, these simulations are not the same as the simulations you are used to. If we were to give an appreciation of the nature of the MSFS aircraft, it is far removed from the real thing that flying it will give you almost no appreciation for the real world operations. Where as the PMDG simulation is a much more accurate (albeit still limited) representation.. you'd at least be at home with the systems etc.. Not being an owner of that particular aircraft I can't really comment.. but the 747 PMDG.. would certainly put you at home even in the real thing.. in terms of avionics and automatics..The first difference is the FMC.. it doesn't just require airports.. it requires..1 - Performance data.. weights.. temperatures.. thrust limit requirements.. centre of gravity.. etc.. etc..2 - Fuel loads.. and reserve fuel quantities3 - Flight details.. that actual flight plan.. you need to enter the whole thing.. standard instrument departures.. (SID) the arrivals (STAR).. cruise levels.. step climb information.. This is just a taster.. there is much more to the FMC.. than just that. The MCP.. which on the MSFS model is pretty much the whole autopilot.. is much more complex.. with hold functions.. etc.. pressing hold and setting an altitude does not have the same effect as it would on the MSFS model.. it's not the same control..I would stop trying to learn to fly it right out and start with cockpit preparation.. proceedure.. then learn how to setup the FMC and learn about autopilot functions.. what V/S is and what it does.. what ALT HOLD is.. what THR REF is.. etc..I am not familiar with a tutorial on the 737.. but I would look on AVSIM.. I've written a tutorial on the 747 and that is on AVSIM.. search for "Craig Read PMDG" amd it will bring it up.. reading these will give you an idea of what you're dealing with..Good luckCraig

Craig Read, EGLL

Just one more example.. we're talking about LNAV here.. on the 747.. you have:LNAV - Flys the horizontal track of the flightplan or intercepts the horizontal track and then flys it.. it will ignore the selected heading in the bug..HDG SEL - Flys the selected heading in the bug.. and only that heading..HDG HOLD - Will hold the current heading irrespective of the bug and flight plan.In MSFS.. you have a bug.. or fly the nav route.. HDG HOLD does not actually exist..See what I mean?Craig

Craig Read, EGLL

Hi Daniel, For the best beginner help for the 737, I recommend you get Tim Metzinger's Advanced Tutorial. It's a dream come true for anyone new to the 737 or any FMC. He takes you on several flights through southern Florida and you progress gradually. Just do a search in the AVSIM Download section or check the PMDG downloads. Regards, Tom