Sign in to follow this  
Guest Captain Behrentzs

PMDG Boeing 737-800 questions

I think you also need a departure runway so V1 can be calculated. You'll note that if you change the runway the FMC will announce VSPEEDS DELETED and you have to go back to the takeoff page and recalculate them.Here's the take-off FMC procedure from Mike Ray's 737NG PC Sim book:1. POS INIT2. RTE PAGE 1 -- ORIGIN (or COROUTE to load stored plan..)3. Proceed through the RTE pages creating the route if not from a stored plan. Then ACTIVATE and EXE.4. PERF INIT5. N1 LIMIT (Usually no change.)6. TAKE-OFF (Enter flaps only for now)7. DEP (Select runway and if desired SID)8. ACT LEGS (Check route, close up discontinuities, EXE if necessary)9. Return to TAKEOFF (via INIT REF/INDEX) and LSK V-SPEEDS.Take-off V-SPEEDS should always be the last item after all other parameters bearing on performance are set.A hint for landing:Don't select your landing flaps and V-Speedsd on the APPROACH page until you are near the airport in the intial stages of approach descent. This allows the gross weight to be adjusted for current fuel load and the landing v-speeds to be calculated for the flaps schedule.

All these things are located on the left side of the yoke (from captain's prospective), aren't they?There are also three numbers on the right side of captiain's yoke. What do they stand for? Some kind of course/heading memo?-- Michael A. Peregudov

Just reading this topic and thought I'd put in my little bit.1. Cost Index can change quite a bit dependent on airlines, for example the airline I'm with uses a standard CI of 65 but other airlines use higher CI (or indeed lower)2. Using the takeoff performance tables is very useful and can also be used to make your simulation more realistic. The performance table can be used in 2 ways. The first is to work out your Vspeeds based on runway length, OAT and takeoff weight. The charts are usually organised as individual charts for runway length/flap setting/runway condition. Then from the chart that applies i.e: 4000ft/10/WET you read down the side to your OAT and read across to the column that is at the wind factor. This gives you a figure like 1669*/57-59-64 (for example) this would mean your Vspeeds are V1: 157 Vr: 159 V2: 164. The first figure is the MTOW (this example is for 767) The other way to use the charts is to work out your reduced thrust. This is not the same as de-rating the engines. The difference between de-rating the thrust and the reduced thrust takeoff is;* de-rate reduces the thrust from the engine ie from 26000lbs to 22000lbs* reduce thrust takeoff means that when you hit the TO/GA button and the throttle hold takes over on the takeoff it won't max the throttle therefore reducing wear on the engineReduced thrust takeoff is usually used when the runway is very long. So rather than accelerate to Vr quickly and only use half the runway length instead you accelerate slower to Vr and use more of the runway but reduce wear on engines and get better fuel burn. To calculate the reduced thrust from the charts is to again select the correct chart i.e 4000ft/5/DRY then reading up the column find the figure nearest MTOW to your calculated TOW then read across to the temp. If you put that figure into the FMC then when you takeoff you will notice that you don't hammer the engines as hard. Hope this makes sense.James

Guest sunbear

>"There are also three numbers on the right side of captiain's>yoke. What do they stand for? Some kind of course/heading>memo?>>-- >Michael A. Peregudov"Michael,They are probably airline specific, but in the case of my recent 737NG simulator time, they generally use it to input the current "Flight number" so the PF & PNF don't forget that they are the ones being counseled by ATC for busting their assigned altitude etc.....jack

>"In real planes the button is located under your thumb on the>yoke.">Are you sure you're not thinking of the A/P Disconnect Button>;)BTW, could you please explain to me, where exactly the TOGA button is on this picture: http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1061547/L/ ?Are they on the throttles sides (marked with "A/T disengage")?-- Michael A. Peregudov

Yep,Those are used as simple numerical data banks for the crew. Frequencies, headings, altitudes, flight numbers and the like.It's just three simple thumbwheel counters in a row.Hope it helps,

Michael,I memory serves me right the TO/GA buttons are the two black buttons partially shown just in front of (above picturewise) the throttle knobs.The buttons you are refering to are the buttons for disengaging the auto throttle.Hope it helps,

Thank you, Mat!Look at the picture below, do you mean these buttons? Do they have to be pushed simultaneously on a real plane? They seem not to be very handy to push when your hand is on the throttles. Or does it only seem so because of the picture prospective?-- Michael A. Peregudovhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/170073.jpg

"Look at the picture below, do you mean these buttons? Do they have to be pushed simultaneously on a real plane? They seem not to be very handy to push when your hand is on the throttles. Or does it only seem so because of the picture prospective?"Yes, these are the TOGA buttons on the NG. Only one has to be pushed to activate TO/GA. Activation is simple... with your hand on the throttles, you can just extend an index finger to push the button.Hope this helps.Cheers.Q>